cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rrubberr
Journeyman III

Constant Driver Crashes with Radeon Frontier Edition

Hello, all. I recently bought a Vega Frontier Edition to replace my againg Titan Z in the server that I use for compute / content-creation applications. I have been dissapointed to find out that the drivers appear to be extremely sub-par. I experience frequent driver crashes in most of the applications I use, including Blender, Substance Painter 2, Luxrender, Radeon ProRender, Adobe CS6 applications, and Unreal Engine. As you can imagine, crashes that result in work and effort lost are especially frustrating. The crashes occur when baking textures in Substance Painter 2, starting a render in Blender with Luxrender or AMD ProRender (both using OpenCL), and in Unreal Engine when moving the viewport / camera. These all occur when running at 4k, fullscreen. The screen goes black for a moment, then after awhile return with a desktop, and all GPU-accelerated programs crash with the drivers.  Many times, after the desktop returns, the system then freezes, and I have to reset it by holding the power button, which isn't the best for the system.

The card was installed into the system with a completely fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, however I began to experience the intermittent crashes almost immediately, but always during stressful computations. The crashes did not occur with the Titan Z in the system, also under Windows 10 Pro, which used substantially more power than the Vega card.

System:

• Supermicro R1200B Chassis
  • 2400 Watt dual power supply
  • Supermicro x9DRi-LNF4+
  • Dual E5-2690 V0
  • 192 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ECC RAM
  • AMD  Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
  • Dell P2415Q 4k Display
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
  • AMD Driver Versions:
    • Radeon 17.12.2 Gaming & Pro
    • Radeon Pro Enterprise 17.Q4.1
    • Radeon 18.1.1
0 Likes
1 Reply
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Have you tried a much older driver?

Do you have another system you can try the GPU in, perhaps it is faulty?

0 Likes