about three weeks ago I had a problem with my PC:
When i started the PC I get the message
"system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution ..."
from the AMD Settings Tool.
Before that the system worked fine for over a year and I am not aware of something I did that could have caused the issue. That time I was able to resolve the problem by switching to an older system restore point. The restore point was from a windows update installation of a vga driver for the chipset of my i5 processor. When I siwtched back I noticed that I had a new problem which first occured after the creators fall update: The monitor was way too dark. This can be solved by running the color calobration of windows 10.
Since this, the error didn't show up again until yesterday.
I have exactly the same problem. So I tried the last restore point. This time it didn't fix the problem. The restore point I used was from a program installation. It seems as if this does not fix the affected files. I noticed that after restoring the brightness problem didn't occur again this time, so it did something different than when I restored the first time the problem occured. Unfortunately that restore point is not available anymore.
More things I noticed:
- freesync is only recognized for 55-59Hz although the display can do 144hz
- freesync doens't work anymore, tested it with the windmill demo. Last time I tested it, it was ok (but this is half a year ago, so I am not sure if the problems are related)
- device manager says monitor is not migrated, but I am not sure if this is normal and unrelated
- the error message is gone when i disable DP1.2 in the monitor, but freesync still doesn't work and I believe DP1.2 is necessary for freesync
I am 100% sure that this is a software issue because the system worked fine and last time a software change removed the problem, unfortunately I am not able to find out what I have to do this to get rid of this error. I really don't want to reinstall the system, because I am not sure if this would fix it, might be related to some windows update?
What I have tried so far:
- uninstall AMD driver including registry cleanup followed by
- install of latest driver
- uninstall of monitor driver
- uninstall of unused monitors in device manager (i have no idea why but there were quite a few of them)
- reinstall of monitor driver
- power off/on
- display port cable reconnect
Mainboard: Asus Z170-A
primary monitor: LG 34uc79g-b connected via DP
secondary monitor: benq gl2450 connected via dp to dvi
Windows 10 64-Bit
I hope someone has any idea what is going on.
Thakn you very much.