6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2018 6:29 AM by sadame

RX 460 Black Screen/Fan Stop - Clean Windows Install - 2ND Hand GPU

sadame

Short version:

Blackscreen and fanstop at driver installation and at booting Windows even on a "vanilla" system.

Yes, I have seen the numberous threads, but I hoped maybe by now there is another work around than baking the card. Don't really want to do that.

My System:

Gigabyte RX460

Ryzen 1800X

MSI B350 Gaming Plus

PSU 600W, 32GB RAM

Windows10

tryed newest Adrenalin Driver

Taken Actions:

-BIOS update

-Chipset driver update

-DISM / SFC

-DDU and reinstall, from installer, from manually selecting and from auto windows choice

-deactivated automatic driver installation

Fresh install of Windows + updates till latest (january)

Current condition:

While installing Fall Creators update, the graphic card stopped working again (even though I deactived automatic drivers?!...), but the system continued to work!

I can confirm this, since it autorebooted as required from the updated and continued normally at 30% or something. After checking the heatsink and waiting for the disk activity LED to cease blinking, I returned to safe mode, restored the basic driver and  could see that the 1709 update was installed succesfully.

Still the card stops working when installing a driver.

What i realized it that (since the very beginning) the graphiccard did take quite some time (2sec?) to spin up and put out a signal. But maybe thats normal? Did use a laptop for to long to remember...

To be fair: I bought the card used.

But if someone should have e.g. installed a bad firmware, would it then still work with the basic driver?

Thank you for your precious time in advance.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.