cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newcomers Start Here

cysin
Journeyman III

Does AMD GPUs have sdk to decode h264 video?

Currently I am focus on processing videos with deep learing, such as object detection, segmentation and so on. I am just wondering if AMD's GPUs have sdk similar to nvidia's cuvid to decode h264 video directly into GPU ram. This can be much more convenient and effective when processing videos, cause the data don't need to be copied to CPU ram and then copied to GPU ram.

We're thinking about moving to AMD's GPU from nv's gpu so any help is welcome! Thanks

0 Likes
3 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

You can check AMD's Advanced Media Framework SDK which provides developers with optimal access to AMD GPUs for multimedia processing and supports for accessing AMD media accelerators for video encoding and decoding and color space conversions.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I've checked AMF which seems only work on windows. We are working on linux(CentOS 7.4), so are there any alternatives?

0 Likes

Sorry for this delayed reply.

Currently, AMF SDK supports Windows only. As I know, the concerned team is also working on Linux solution (however cannot give an ETA at this moment).

I think, FFmpeg open source project has GPU accelerated decoding working on AMD gpus via VAAPI and VDPAU. I don't know about the exact support though.

0 Likes