15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2018 5:57 PM by sammyreynolds1977@gmail.com

Black Sceen/Driver Crash? HP Notebook ~ 15-f305dx A6-5200 APU AMD Radeon HD 8400

64btx

So I have been experiencing several problems with installing Radeon Adrenalin Edition, and when I solved that certain problem, another problem arose.

Before I say anything else, here are my specifications:

- Computer type: HP Notebook ~ 15-f305dx

- Processor: AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics ~ 2.00 GHz (Apparently it's Quad-Core A-Series)

- RAM: 4.00 GB (3.47 GB is usable)

- Display Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series

Here we go. Please read everything here.

I tried to install the latest version of the Radeon Settings software, so I downloaded the latest version of AMD Software off of the website. As I installed it, I noticed that it said that I was installing the previous version and not the latest. I looked at the changelog for the latest release and I wasn't really taken aback by anything new that would case any problems, so I continued. I was given a list of options for a custom install. These were the options:

• AMD Display Driver
      • AMD HDMI Audio Driver
      • AMD Problem Report Wizard
      • AMD Radeon Settings (the program I was looking for)
      • Bethesda Launcher

I selected every option except for the Bethesda Launcher, and they all installed relatively quickly. As it was installing the display driver, my screen turned black for a few seconds before going back to normal (I assumed that this was normal behavior). After everything was installed, one thing I noticed immediately was that my screen would freeze for a second and go back to normal for a little more than a second, and my screen alternated between these two. I tried restarting my computer, but to no avail. The Radeon Settings worked normally, though, and I could mess with the settings, but before I tried to test the settings out on the game I originally got Radeon Settings for, Terraria, I thought about going to the Device Manager (the actual Windows device manager) to try to update the display adapter because the stuttering was going to get pretty old pretty fast. Turns out I indeed can update the display adapter (the only one that I could access was the adapter I stated in the specifications at the top of this post), and I updated it with no issues. The screen went off and on again and the stuttering issue was fixed. However, I also saw that by doing that, Radeon Settings would no longer run properly and I could not find it anywhere from the Installed Programs list on my computer via the Control Panel. The only way to get it back, that I have found out, would be to uninstall everything I just installed and go back to square one. This entire cycle continued for a few more times until I realized that if I could install the Radeon Settings without installing the display driver, I could potentially have everything working properly. The problem is, when I tried that out, the AMD Software installation wizard will not let you do that, as in you can't install the Radeon Settings without also installing the display driver as well.

Now that I have said all of that, I'd like to ask this: is there a workaround for getting Radeon Settings without getting the display driver? Or is there a potential solution of fixing the display stuttering without screwing over Radeon Settings to the point of reinstalling?

If I need to provide extra specifications, please tell me and I will try to add them to this post.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.