cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

64btx
Journeyman III

Black Sceen/Driver Crash? HP Notebook ~ 15-f305dx A6-5200 APU AMD Radeon HD 8400

So I have been experiencing several problems with installing Radeon Adrenalin Edition, and when I solved that certain problem, another problem arose.

Before I say anything else, here are my specifications:

- Computer type: HP Notebook ~ 15-f305dx

- Processor: AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics ~ 2.00 GHz (Apparently it's Quad-Core A-Series)

- RAM: 4.00 GB (3.47 GB is usable)

- Display Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series

Here we go. Please read everything here.

I tried to install the latest version of the Radeon Settings software, so I downloaded the latest version of AMD Software off of the website. As I installed it, I noticed that it said that I was installing the previous version and not the latest. I looked at the changelog for the latest release and I wasn't really taken aback by anything new that would case any problems, so I continued. I was given a list of options for a custom install. These were the options:

• AMD Display Driver
  • AMD HDMI Audio Driver
  • AMD Problem Report Wizard
  • AMD Radeon Settings (the program I was looking for)
  • Bethesda Launcher

I selected every option except for the Bethesda Launcher, and they all installed relatively quickly. As it was installing the display driver, my screen turned black for a few seconds before going back to normal (I assumed that this was normal behavior). After everything was installed, one thing I noticed immediately was that my screen would freeze for a second and go back to normal for a little more than a second, and my screen alternated between these two. I tried restarting my computer, but to no avail. The Radeon Settings worked normally, though, and I could mess with the settings, but before I tried to test the settings out on the game I originally got Radeon Settings for, Terraria, I thought about going to the Device Manager (the actual Windows device manager) to try to update the display adapter because the stuttering was going to get pretty old pretty fast. Turns out I indeed can update the display adapter (the only one that I could access was the adapter I stated in the specifications at the top of this post), and I updated it with no issues. The screen went off and on again and the stuttering issue was fixed. However, I also saw that by doing that, Radeon Settings would no longer run properly and I could not find it anywhere from the Installed Programs list on my computer via the Control Panel. The only way to get it back, that I have found out, would be to uninstall everything I just installed and go back to square one. This entire cycle continued for a few more times until I realized that if I could install the Radeon Settings without installing the display driver, I could potentially have everything working properly. The problem is, when I tried that out, the AMD Software installation wizard will not let you do that, as in you can't install the Radeon Settings without also installing the display driver as well.

Now that I have said all of that, I'd like to ask this: is there a workaround for getting Radeon Settings without getting the display driver? Or is there a potential solution of fixing the display stuttering without screwing over Radeon Settings to the point of reinstalling?

If I need to provide extra specifications, please tell me and I will try to add them to this post.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
15 Replies

Went to HP Support for your HP Notebook ~ 15-f305dx. Found that it has a very new BIOS update to make it compatible with the latest Windows 10 version 1709. Also found a fairly new HP AMD HD Graphic Driver to download. I highly recommend that you install HP's BIOS (if newer) and HP Graphic's driver which should work correctly in your Laptop. If by installing the HP BIOS and Graphic driver and your laptop is working correctly. I wouldn't try to install the generic AMD laptop drivers and leave the HP driver installed instead which are customized to work with your Laptop. It is possible, if you update your BIOS to the latest, the AMD generic Laptop driver may work better or correctly. Here is a copy from the HP Support concerning your Laptop:

HP Notebook - 15-f305dx

Choose a different product

Recommended   HP Support Assistant

LAUNCH NOW

HP Support Assistant is pre-installed on HP Computers. It recommends the drivers needed to keep your PC up-to-date.

Available software for the following operating system:

Selected operating system: Windows, Windows 10 (64-bit)

VersionFile sizeRelease date

Driver-Graphics (1)

AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1703)

21.19.414.1280 Rev.C579.6 MBJul 25, 2017DownloadHP's Terms of Use
DetailsAssociated files

Type:

Driver-Graphics

Version:

21.19.414.1280 Rev.C

Operating systems:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:

Jul 25, 2017

File name:

sp81523.exe

(579.6 MB)

Description:

This package provides the AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver and Catalyst Control Center for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. For notebooks with switchable graphics modes, this package includes drivers for both graphics processing units (GPUs). Switchable graphics enable users to switch between a power-saving graphics mode (normally used under battery power) and a high-performance graphics mode. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

Fix and enhancements:

- Provides support for Windows 10, version 1703.

BIOS (2)

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

F.41 Rev.A6.6 MBNov 23, 2017DownloadHP's Terms of Use
DetailsAssociated filesPrevious versions

Type:

BIOS

Version:

F.41 Rev.A

Operating systems:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:

Nov 23, 2017

File name:

sp82762.exe

(6.6 MB)

Description:

This package provides an update to the System BIOS. The update installs on supported notebook models using a supported Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is necessary to restart the system to complete the installation.

Fix and enhancements:

- Provides support for Windows 10 v1709.
- Provides improved security.

NOTE: HP strongly recommends transitioning promptly to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

I believe this is the AMD Generic APU driver for your Laptop: APU  If not then click here : Download Drivers and input the appropriate info of your APU.

0 Likes

I just tried that; my laptop crashes right after starting to install (after accepting the agreement thing) every time I try to install the new BIOS.

0 Likes

You either have a CPU or a PSU problem. You're problems are beyond driver issues.

0 Likes

Is it possible for me to run a troubleshooter for my CPU to see what's wrong with it?

0 Likes

I don't believe so. I could be wrong.

0 Likes

Well it really doesn't cost a whole lot to find out.

0 Likes

Does your laptop still boot up after failing to install the new BIOS?

Here is a link from HP Support that instructs you on how to get a corrupted BIOS working again with a HP Laptop: HP Notebook PCs - Recovering the BIOS | HP® Customer Support

To check your CPU or GPU or PSU, I personally use OCCT which is free to use. Others can recommend other diagnostic software that may be better from their own experiences. I don't believe you can test a Laptop's PSU but can test the CPU and GPU.

0 Likes

My computer still runs normally after the installation failed. I'm guessing that before any changes could be applied, my laptop crashed just in time.

I just tried using OCCT, and it says I have no errors. I think it just might be a dust issue at this point, unless there is something else I could try.

0 Likes

Clean your computer and see if that works. If not your'e going to need to take it to a tech.

0 Likes

I still get the occasional HDMI black screen for a few secs but I don't get the freezes that essentially would lock my computer to the point that I had to cold restart my PC by using the power button. The things that I have been doing is the following. I went into Power Settings and turned off fast restart, I disabled Raedon settings in the task manager. I haven't had any freezes since doing that things. Oh I couldn't even install the new Adrenaline driver because my computer froze while installing and had to do 2 hard restarts to get it to go back. I hope the new Adrenaline drivers fix the issues.

0 Likes

So are you able to keep using Radeon Settings without the stutter problem?

0 Likes

If you need to use the Settings you just click it from the Start menu but I haven't had the need to.

0 Likes

Also the buy above with a HP Notebook solved his problem updating BIOS. You might want to try that but I caution you, It could brick your PC

0 Likes

Clean your laptop. Use compressed air to blow out all vents, etc. Really bad cases have to remove the keyboard and clean everything.

0 Likes

the problem could be dust but i doubt it.

0 Likes