cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

zariix
Newcomer

Blackscreen Crash at Idle/video card not under load 17.12.2 & Previous Drivers R9 390

CPU : i5-6000k @ standard clock

PSU: EVGA 950w
mobo: z170a M3 Gaming

Display 1920x1020, 60hz, AOC 2470 24" monitor
GPU: MSI R9 390 @ 1040 core/rest standard

RAM : Corsair DDR4 2400 @ standard clock

WIN 7 64 bit

BIOS/Windows all up to date.

I recently got wolfenstein II and needed a gpu driver update. I updated to 17.12.2 and during gaming everything is fine and when gpu is in use everything is fine (was playing for solid 7hrs with no issue) but when im browsing chrome or watching youtube or idle windows i get blackscreen crashes but i can hear the audio, i can interact for another 5 sec of display going black before a full crash happens and i need to power down. I installed the driver correctly following the guide amd recommends and used DDU. I have tried 17.1, 17.7, 17.10.3, 17.12.1 all of them are having the same issue. I went back to my old driver of 16.7.3 and that worked perfectly for 3 days until i updated again. What is the issue? It only seems to crash when idle and only on adrenaline drivers.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Can you try disabling hardware acceleration in whatever web browser you are using?

0 Likes

I have disabled it once the issue first came about. It also blackscreens when i am just idling at desktop with chrome not open.

0 Likes

I also rolled back my drivers to 16.7.3 but the issue persisted.

0 Likes

Not sure why the title was updated, but i want to clarify. The crashes happen often when im just browsing or idling, but also when im not even in chrome, if im watching a movie with windows player or listening to music, or even idling at windows with nothing open, it still crashes.

0 Likes

Update - i was playing a game and lost display for a moment, after the display loss the game was stuttering, i checked my core clock and it had dropped from 1030 ish down to 450 and wouldnt go higher. I disabled and reenabled gfx card and managed to push it back to mid 600's which is still very low considering what core mhz i usually run. I tested overwatch and it had dropped by 100mhz from 1040 core down to 920 core. Could this be graphics card dying, just seems an unlikely coincidence that its working fine when i was on 16.7.3 but when i update to 17.12 i have all these issues.

0 Likes

What temperature is the GPU running at?

Try upping the Power Limit to +50%.

0 Likes

idle it is at 48-56C, under heavy load 75-85.

0 Likes