Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

retroguy
Journeyman III

can an update affect the sound

I have axfx radeon r9 290 4gb double dissapation video card and win 7 premium

I updated the software last week and and now I have to open/close a civ 5 game in order to have sound in my other steam

and big fish games,never had a problem before

I posted my problem on 3 win 7 forums with no help so I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here...thanks

0 Likes
12 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

You have not provided any of the ESSENTIAL INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

0 Likes

What other information do you require please let me know

0 Likes

intel core i5 4460 3.2 ghz quad core processor

asrock h97 anniversary atx lga 1150 mb

crucial ballistix sport 8gb(2x4gb)ddr3 1600 memery

western digital blk 1tb 3.5 7200rpm internal hd

xfx raeon r9 290 4gb double dissapation video card 17.12.1 adrenalin

evga supernova 650 g1 120-g1-0650-xr 650w 80 plus gold atx12v eps12v pwr supply

win 7 home premium(service pk 1) 64bit

sharp aquos lc-39le4400u

amd radeon graphics processor (0x67bi

internal dac(400mhz

bios 113 hawaii pro ds 4gb c671 oc w8 59 hertz refresh rate

hope this covers it...thanks

0 Likes

So your audio/sound works fine until you try to play CIV 5 game. The last patch for your game was in 10/2014.  So, if you don't play CIV 5, your audio works correctly in all other games? It is possible that a Windows Update or the latest AMD driver may have some compatibility issues with that game. Post your question at Civilian V Forum and see if anyone has any suggestions. 2K Forums . You may want to upgrade to Civilian VI which is a newer version of Civilian V. It may work better.

To tell you the truth, I am not very familiar with Steaming games on a computer. So, I can only suggest.

Also how is your sound system hooked up via HDMI, DP, or DVI-D?  Is it through a monitor or A/V Receiver or separate computer speakers or are you using Headphones?

0 Likes

actually it's the opposite,until I open either civ 4 or 5 and close the game,I don't have sound in my other games

connected w/hdmi to my tv and sound is from tv...

0 Likes

So your audio work fines until you open and close civ 4 or 5. Afterward you lose audio in all your other games, Do you also lose audio completely on your computer or only when playing games?

So if you DON"T play CIV 4 or 5, your audio works fine and all games and in everything else works fine, correct?  I am just trying to clarify the exact problem you have with your audio.

Sounds like CIV 4 or 5 is not completely shutting down when you close the game for some reason. When you close CIV 4 or 5 and lose audio, open the Task Manager (ALT+Ctrl+Del) and check if any instances of the game is running after closing. If there is any instances, end the task and see if your audio starts working normally.

It's possible you have a corrupted game installation or the installation became corrupted. Maybe reinstalling the game might solve the problem.

0 Likes
retroguy
Journeyman III

no, I do not have sound unless I open and close civ game

0 Likes

Maybe you should uninstall that game and see if your audio works normally. If the computer audio does start working correctly, reinstall the game.

it is a odd audio problem you have.

What does Windows Sound Panel show as "default" when the computer has no sound  and what does Sound Panel show when it has sound after starting the game?

Is it the same "default" Audio device?

0 Likes

when no sound the panel shows nothing on,with sound it shows my tv as default(but when no sound the tv shows as not plugged in

0 Likes

Have you tried the windows audio troubleshooter (when you have no sound) ?.

And some links to the other forum threads would be helpful, as in not repeating other failed suggestions.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Good point. Forgot about Windows 10 Built in troubleshooter.

0 Likes

yes and it didn't help

0 Likes