6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2018 6:22 AM by rekiotsu

RX 480 - temperature (and high usage) issues

notpaulavery

Hey guys,

recently I've been having some trouble with my GPU, an RX 480. I used to have performance issues, but I managed to iron those out, benchmarks are now where they're supposed to be: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23943724?

However, I've seem to have traded them in for issues in GPU temperature. I've compared the temperatures to those of other RX 480s paired with my CPU (i5 6500). Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, for example, is running at an average of about 70 °C (and that's after capping the framerate to 60 FPS, before which the temperature would reach up to 80°C). Either way, compared to similar setups, those temperatures are too high. Even when not under heavy load, like running Netflix or YouTube, the card reaches up to 45 °C, when before it barely moved beyond its idle temp of 33 °C. I've noticed that when the card gets up to 45 °C when watching a movie or YouTube video, the GPU usage stays at 100% permanently. Otherwise the temperature while watching a video will hover in the high 30s.

I've run DDU once to make sure it's not driver related. Should I run it again? I'm not even sure if this is a hardware or a software issue. Couldn't be the airflow, because there weren't any problems before, right? So yeah, I'm at a loss here, I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Specs, if needed:

MSI H170A PC MATE
      Intel Core i5 6500 4x 3.20GHz
      8GB MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X
      16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
      1000GB Seagate Desktop
      250GB Samsung 750 Evo