AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX 480 - temperature (and high usage) issues

Question asked by notpaulavery on Jan 3, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 18, 2018 by rekiotsu

Hey guys,

recently I've been having some trouble with my GPU, an RX 480. I used to have performance issues, but I managed to iron those out, benchmarks are now where they're supposed to be: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23943724?

However, I've seem to have traded them in for issues in GPU temperature. I've compared the temperatures to those of other RX 480s paired with my CPU (i5 6500). Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, for example, is running at an average of about 70 °C (and that's after capping the framerate to 60 FPS, before which the temperature would reach up to 80°C). Either way, compared to similar setups, those temperatures are too high. Even when not under heavy load, like running Netflix or YouTube, the card reaches up to 45 °C, when before it barely moved beyond its idle temp of 33 °C. I've noticed that when the card gets up to 45 °C when watching a movie or YouTube video, the GPU usage stays at 100% permanently. Otherwise the temperature while watching a video will hover in the high 30s.

I've run DDU once to make sure it's not driver related. Should I run it again? I'm not even sure if this is a hardware or a software issue. Couldn't be the airflow, because there weren't any problems before, right? So yeah, I'm at a loss here, I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Specs, if needed:

MSI H170A PC MATE
Intel Core i5 6500 4x 3.20GHz
8GB MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X
16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
1000GB Seagate Desktop
250GB Samsung 750 Evo

Outcomes