1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 31, 2017 9:21 AM by elstaci

DVI-to-HDMI (monitor) sleep hot plug detection

jayowend

Describe your system:

AMD R9 290

Desktop

OS: Windows 10 (64-bit) Fall Creators Update version 1709 (16299.125)

Driver: Adrenalin 17.12.2

Display Device: ASUS VN248h-p 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz, Passive DVI-D to HDMI adapter

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Bios v10.6

CPU: i5-4690k

I'm facing an odd issue hooking up two monitors (same model, resolution, refresh rate) to my R9 290.

Since this card only has 1 HDMI port, I need to use a DVI-D to HDMI cable for the second monitor.

However, when I hook the second monitor up this way, Windows 10/Adrenalin detects hot plug events when the monitor goes to sleep and treats it as disconnected.

This only happens to the monitor using DVI-to-HDMI cable. The HDMI-to-HDMI monitor behaves "normally" (what I want it to do), and isn't treated as a plug-and-play when the monitor sleeps.

This also creates a weird side effect where if I am extending my windows desktop across 2 screens, and I switch from Extend (Win + P) to PC Screen Only, if the second monitor sleeps, it will be stuck in a HPD loop where it repeatedly disconnects and reconnects to the computer. Though.. I understand this might be more of an issue with Windows OS and not AMD but I could be wrong. I have tried taping off pin 19 on HDMI and removing pin 16 on DVI-D to disable Hot Plug Detection (HPD), which displays successfully until AMD driver kicks in on system startup. And then the monitor shows input lost for some reason. So I was wondering if this is an issue with AMD drivers and my R9 290 not correctly detecting a DVI-to-HDMI display that has HPD blocked off.

Thanks