4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2017 4:50 PM by black_zion

Unarmed man killed by police after ‘swatting’ prank in Kansas

kingfish

An innocent man was shot and killed by police Thursday after a "swatting" prank led authorities to a home in Kansas, officials say.

A feud between two Call of Duty game players sparked the hoax call. However, the address given to police led them to the doorstep of 28-year-old Andrew Finch, who was not part of the online gaming community, police say.

"Due to the actions of a prankster, we have an innocent victim," Wichita police Deputy Chief Troy Livingston said during a press conference Friday.

Officers responded to a report of a gunman holding his mother, brother and sister hostage after shooting his father in the head Thursday night, Livingston said.

More than a dozen gamers told the Eagle that a feud between two Call of Duty players sparked the swatting call.

The gamers were arguing when one threatened to target the other. The intended target gave the other gamer a "fake" address, according to Twitter posts.

"We believe this case is an act of swatting," Livingston confirmed Friday.

Several social media users placed blame on one gamer, who tweeted about the incident.

"I DIDNT GET ANYONE KILLED BECAUSE I DIDNT DISCHARGE A WEAPON AND BEING A SWAT MEMBER ISNT MY PROFESSION," the gamer tweeted. The account was suspended overnight.

The  Los Angeles Police Department arrested 25-year-old Tyler Barriss in connection with the deadly call, according to multiple reports.

Unarmed man killed by police after ‘swatting’ prank in Kansas

• Re: Unarmed man killed by police after ‘swatting’ prank in Kansas
          black_zion

And his mugshot is sure to be a viral meme...

He has been identified as Tyler Raj Barriss, who is known online as "SWAuTistic."

qwixt

I hope they convict the cop too. Cops are so poorly trained in this country.

black_zion

They were told the man had killed one of them, were holding the others hostage in the closet, and threatened to pour gasoline around the place and burn them alive. I would've taken the shot too.

black_zion

TRANSCRIPT OF 911 CALL

Dispatcher: This is 911, what’s going on… Hello?

Caller: Yeah.

D: This is 911. What’s going on?

C: Um, I recently got disconnected. I had told you guys everything that happened about the argument with my mom and dad.

D: OK. What’s your address? Hello?

C: Yeah, um, it’s 1033 West McCormick Street.

D: OK. Tell me exactly what happened.

C: We were arguing and I shot him in the head and he’s not breathing anymore.

D: OK. So what’s going on right now? Are you there?

C: Yeah.

D: OK. Do you have any weapons on you?

C: Yeah, I do.

D: What kind of weapons do you have?

C: Um, a handgun.

D: What kind of handgun is it?

C: I don’t know. It’s my dad’s.

D: What color is it?

C: It’s black.

D: Where exactly are you at in the house?

C: Um, by the closet.

D: OK. What closet?

C: My mom’s.

D: Where’s that at in the house?

C: In her room. Which is where she’s at, and my little brother.

D: You have a little brother?

C: Yeah. I was on the phone with you guys earlier, um, telling you guys about it. It got disconnected.

D: OK. Well, we’re gonna try to get you some help. Where exactly in the house? Is this a one-story or two-story house?

C: It’s one story.

D: Is it towards the front of the house? The back of the house?

C: Um, well, like, it’s towards the back, I guess. I’m just pointing the gun at them, making sure they stay in the closet, my mom and my little brother.

D: OK. Is there any way you can put the gun [inaudible]?

C: No. Are you guys sending someone over here? ‘Cause then I’m definitely not going to put it away.

D: OK. I’m just going to go ahead and stay on the phone with you, OK?

C: That’s fine. Until they get here, or?

D: As long as you need me to, OK?

C: Yeah, I’m thinking about, um…’Cause I already poured gasoline all over the house and I might just start a fire.

D: OK, well, we don’t need to do that, OK?

C: In a little bit, I might.

D: Why would you do that?

C: Do you have my address correct?

D: Can you verify it for me again?

C: Um, it’s 1033 West McCormick Street, um, my zip code is 67213.

D: OK. So, which way does your house face? Does your front door face north, south, east, west?

C: I don’t know. It’s just facing the street…My dad isn’t freezing, and it’s giving me anxiety and making me like paranoid. Hello?

D: I’m still here. I’m still here, OK?

C: Yeah, me too.

D: OK, are you white? Black? Asian? Hispanic? Are you there?

C: Yeah.

D: Are you white? Black? Asian? Hispanic?

C: [Inaudible] It was an accident, so…

D: OK, that’s fine. Are you there? Talk to me. Hello? Are you there? [Static heard in background] Hello?