6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2018 5:07 PM by vipermax

AMD Graphics Problem

vipermax

hello i write the following post because i had problems with the graphics radeon 520 DDR3 and the A9 9420 apu i play titanfall 2 and destiny 2 but they do not run well graphically because it runs with the integrated GPU of the apu and not with the radeon 520 DDR3, it is an HP laptop (1x4GB + 1x8GB), how can i let it run with integrated one the method putting the panel in high performance did not work, since it runs with the integrated 512MB but not with the Dedicated 2GB

Regards

• Re: AMD Graphics Problem
          leyvin

Some Games will simply automatically select the "Primary Device",. which the order of Selection for the OS is PCI-NB, IGFX, PCI-GFX... as Laptops typically don't have PCI-NB but instead use MCX (PCI-GFX) this means from the OS / Game Perspective the IGFX is the Default Primary Device.

While some Laptops do have Switchable Graphics (as do the AMD Drivers), having never used them I'm not sure if they actually change the System Primary Device or require a Game Profile to Switch on a "Per Game" Basis.

I'd check the Game Profiles for Titanfall 2 and Destiny 2, just to see which it has Selecting as your Primary Graphics.

With this said, you can always manually change this in the Games themselves within the Settings - Video / Graphics Menus.

There will be (often in Advanced Graphics Options today) be an Option that lists your Graphics Device,. in this case it would likely be R5 Graphics; simply Select the option and it should show your RX 520... still don't expect performance to be particularly "Good".

The R5 Graphics in the A9-9420 is a 3CU (192SP) at 800MHz, the RX 520 is only 5CU (320SP) at 1030MHz.

I've played (mostly out of curiosity) both Titanfall 2 and Destiny 2 on my brothers A10-Pro 7850K w/R7 Graphics 8CU (512SP) at 825MHz OC.

Lowest Settings, 720p... it was averaging about 30 FPS in those Games,. and I don't see the RX 520 being capable of even that as it is somewhat weaker.

You Laptop isn't really powerful enough to really be playing such Games... but it should be fine for MOBA or E-Sports 720p Lowest.

vipermax

you can send some images for i he have do i don't understand so much from display adapter it's a option from the game or the windows/bios option ?

leyvin

Having actually looked over both Titanfall 2 and Destiny 2,. they don't actually have options for changing the Render Device.

This is actually unusual enough that I had simply assumed that they had this functionality. They also lack the ability to switch Displays as well, which is less unusual but certainly "Bad Form" for Modern PC Games... it's actually common today for most Systems to have both an Integrated GPU (both Intel and AMD Processors do typically have Integrated Graphics, especially OEM Systems like Notebooks, Laptops and Desktops) as well as a Single Discreet Graphics.

As Notebooks and Laptops are generally setup to use the iGPU as the Primary Device, because these use substantially less Power (8w Vs. 25w in the Case of your Notebook) which does Dramatically change the Battery Life; well the ability to Manually Switch between iGPU and dGPU within the Game itself is just a common sense for Developers to support because the reality is the Majority of our Audience is going to be Gaming on a Laptop.

Be it a College / University Student with essentially no Space in their Dorms plus the need for something Portable for Class,. as well as Women (such-as Housewives) who for some reason will typically not use a Desktop but will use a Laptop... and they often chose them for their "Cute" Appearance over Performance.

In any case,. I then decided to check Adrenalin on my Brother' PC (which has an A10 7850K / R7 360 / R7 250... it's best not to ask why as it's an usual setup) anyhow... I've noticed that AMD have indeed removed Switchable Graphics and Hybrid Graphics Modes. I'd run some more experiments to find out exactly what version they removed it and how to access it; but each install takes a while and I'd rather not have to deal with my Brother' who like to grab some food and run Final Fantasy XIV Raids as soon as he gets in from work.

So, instead how about a fairly Simplistic Solution.

Go into your BIOS (Tap Del or F1 on Boot, it'll be one of those... just keep tapping them until the BIOS shows up)

7th Gen APU (like yours) will almost certainly be using the 300-Series Chipset (A/X300 to be exact),. which was prototypes for the A320/B350/X370 that were released with Ryzen.

Options wise they should be nearly identical,. so you'll want to go to the "Advanced Options" Menu, but it could also be under "Peripherals"

Then you'll want to look for an option called "GFX Settings" or "Graphics Settings"

Under this there will be 2 - 3 Options:

Primary Graphics Device [NB PCIe Graphics / PCI Graphics / IGFX]

Integrated Graphics [Auto / Disabled / Forced]

Video Memory [256MB / 512MB / 1GB / 2GB / 4GB]

You will want to ensure that Integrated Graphics is on "Auto" and Primary Graphics Device is on "NB PCIe",. I'd also recommend changing the Video Memory if it's an available option to 256MB / 512MB. Note in the Auto Mode, the Integrated GPU will actually have available up to 1GB Per 4GB System Memory,. what the Video Memory actually sets is how much it has in Reserved (Exclusive) Mode... the rest is available via Shared Mode.

The reason to do this is to Maximise the System Memory Available.

In any case, setting these options will switch the RX 520 to be your Primary Graphics (both for Windows and Gaming) ... but the R5 Graphics will still be available for Games that Support Switchable / Hybrid Graphics. This mode is still supported via the Drivers themselves, they're simply not supported via the Radeon Settings... it also allows the GPU to be available for games that support Multi-GPU,. which there are few games really making use of this just yet but this will almost certainly become more common (and favourably) supported when more Developers realise the performance Gains, especially on Low-End Hardware that can be gained with Custom Solutions available from DirectX 12 / Vulkan Multi-GPU approaches.

Might not seem important to have available, but you never know. It's better to have it available and not need it rather than need it and not have it enabled.