kalak

Windows 10 - More recent drivers cause mouse freezes

Discussion created by kalak on Dec 29, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 2, 2018 by loafer987
  • AMD A8-6410 with R5 Graphics
  • Dell Inspiron Laptop
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Crimson 17.12.1 (have tried a few earlier versions as well) - Same behaviour with Windows Update default AMD R5 drivers in Windows Build 1703
  • 8GB of RAM

I have a number of laptops (Dell) with AMD APUs.

The latest updates to Windows forces a driver update to the AMD R5 video cards installed in these devices. This causes the system to freeze every few seconds. If you move a mouse cursor around, it will stop responding every 2-3 seconds for about 1/4 of a second making it extremely frustrating to use.

I have confirmed that it is Windows 10 builds with newer AMD device drivers. It doesn't matter if it's the default drivers Windows Update installs from Microsoft, or the AMD Crimson software. One of my systems that had older drivers (Jan 2016) worked fine until build 1703 which over-wrote the old AMD drivers with the new ones (and won't allow me to roll back).

If I uninstall ALL video card drivers and let the system default to 'Microsoft Basic Graphics Adaptor' drivers then system response returns to normal. Install the video card drivers - either via Windows Update or direct from AMD - and the freezing behaviour returns.

I'm not entirely sure if it's a Windows issue, or an AMD issue, but it needs to be fixed. It has made 3 PCs in my house unusable!

Outcomes