6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2018 9:04 AM by colesdav

32-bit, CCCSlim and junk

mphuz

My system: Desktop

AMD HD 7850 2GB, Intel i5 3570, 8GB DRR3 RAM, 650W

Windows 10 64-bit, 1709 (build 16299.125)
      Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.2

**sorry for my english**

Dear AMD developers! I have a question for you regarding cleanup the drivers and installer.

We know that many applications suffer from the fact that their code is "fattening". This applies not only to the installed application, but also to its installer.

Next, I will describe the components that, in my opinion, are useless in drivers in 2017 (developers can correct me).

Installer (C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-17.12.2-Dec199)

1. Images Folder. Why does the installer still have images from the Catalyst? (1)

2. Dual-Core Optimizer. Seriously? Why after installing the driver I find that my system has installed an ancient AMD Dual-core Optimizer that only works on Windows XP? And this 64-bit driver for Windows 10!!! (2)

3. "Welcome Images" from Catalyst. Why in the driver is still the remains of small components from the Catalyst? For example, here is this page "welcome generic". (3)

4. CCCSlim. Why does the installer still have this code? What else has not been transferred to the Radeon Settings? (C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-17.12.2-Dec199\Packages\Apps\CN\CCCSlim)

There is Start Now and Core-Static-Net4. The folder weighs ~36 MB. Also installed some other components (the disk) and it all weighs ~56 MB (4)

5. 32-bit components. Now we come to the most interesting. Please tell me why in the 64-bit installer/driver need 32-bit components? I understand if the component was originally 32-bit, and it never was rewritten for 64-bit... But we have a bunch of the same components, but different bitness! It can be as msi files and dll.

For example, Apps: amddvr/amddvr64, A4/A464, cnext/cnext64, CNBranding/CNBranding64. Almost all of these applications are new and do not need 32-bit components?

Next, Drivers: amd_opencl32/amd_opencl64, amdmantle32/amdmantle64, amdvlk32/amdvlk64 etc. (5)

Do these 32-bit components in your driver on modern computers and operating systems? Is there a 64-bit driver or are these 64-bit components a "wrapper"?

I hope that the developers will seriously take this into account and start cleaning up the old components. And the drivers will be transferred to full 64-bits. This will reduce the size of the drivers and improve security.

Thanks!

• Re: 32-bit, CCCSlim and junk
          ray_m

Thank you for your feedback.

fragment

(1)  These are just background/layout images, don't worry about them too much, each of it is ~20KB afaik ... just look how much unneeded junk (including example pictures, example sounds, millions of useless text files) are hidden in your Windows folder...

(2) This is for people with dual core CPUs, since the folder you describe is just the install base folder it contains ALL POSSIBLE drivers for any possible AMD hardware. So yes, also for the people who have dual cores (they exist - you know)

(3) see (1)

(4) this is a fallback/backup scenario backup for people who prefer the CCCSlim GUI because as the name says ("slim") it is a little less heave on system resources if you install the CCCSlim. Especially for users with slower computers. Again don't worry here, you can just delete it. The "code" as you call it again, is not executed on your machine if you don't explicitly INSTALL it by yourself. But it is good for people who want to have the CHOICE.

(5) 32-bit files are important for 32-bit programs ... I hope you understand that, because there is nothing else about that to say.

And generally: After installation of your driver you can DELETE the installer files. They have nothing to do with "fattening code" as you call it. It is just unused files which are stored on your disk in case you need to reinstall the package and don't have the original downloaded .zip anymore...

So this all can just be deleted by you, without problems, you will have more problems trying to delete every single 2KB file of the 10,000 trash files from Windows ... because they just hide everywhere between the important files.

This thread... nothing but hot air...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                mphuz

..just look how much unneeded junk (including example pictures, example sounds, millions of useless text files) are hidden in your Windows folder.

..you will have more problems trying to delete every single 2KB file of the 10,000 trash files from Windows ... because they just hide everywhere between the important files.

Who cares what is hidden in Windows? Now we are talking about the driver package.

(1) These are just background/layout images, don't worry about them too much, each of it is ~20KB afaik

(3) see (1)

In your opinion, need to keep it all in the installer?

(2) This is for people with dual core CPUs, since the folder you describe is just the install base folder it contains ALL POSSIBLE drivers for any possible AMD hardware. So yes, also for the people who have dual cores (they exist - you know)

FOR ANY POSSIBLE HARDWARE! NOT OPERATING SYSTEM!
                The developers say that the program only works in XP, so why this garbage in Windows 10?

(4) this is a fallback/backup scenario backup for people who prefer the CCCSlim GUI because as the name says ("slim") it is a little less heave on system resources if you install the CCCSlim. Especially for users with slower computers. Again don't worry here, you can just delete it. The "code" as you call it again, is not executed on your machine if you don't explicitly INSTALL it by yourself. But it is good for people who want to have the CHOICE.

WTF is "a fallback/backup"? What are you talking about? Now 2018, we have Adrenalin Edition (Crimson interface).

In theory, users shouldn't need any CCC/CCCSlim. If the developers moved all the functions from the CCC into the Adrenalin, then need to remove all the old from the installer. If not, they should at least confirm and explain why users still need the stub of the old interface. Easy? Easy.

(5) 32-bit files are important for 32-bit programs.

Yes, if this does not concern long-unused programs.

After installation of your driver you can DELETE the installer files.

Don`t tell me what to do.

This thread... nothing but hot air...

So important to nip these things in the bud.

fragment

mphuz wrote:

Who cares what is hidden in Windows? Now we are talking about the driver package.

Who cares what is hidden in the driver package?

mphuz wrote:

In your opinion, need to keep it all in the installer?

Yes can be kept, I see no problem at all.

mphuz wrote:

FOR ANY POSSIBLE HARDWARE! NOT OPERATING SYSTEM!
                    The developers say that the program only works in XP, so why this garbage in Windows 10?

1) Where do the developers say that? Source please. Thanks

2) Maybe people using XP still want to be able to use single modules of the most recent AMD driver package -> legitimate

mphuz wrote:

WTF is "a fallback/backup"? What are you talking about? Now 2018, we have Adrenalin Edition (Crimson interface).

In theory, users shouldn't need any CCC/CCCSlim. If the developers moved all the functions from the CCC into the Adrenalin, then need to remove all the old from the installer. If not, they should at least confirm and explain why users still need the stub of the old interface. Easy? Easy.

As I said in my previous post, the slim version is more resource friendly on slower PCs, so it gives people with lower end PCs an alternative option. Also no problem for high-end users to ignore / not use.

mphuz wrote:

(5) 32-bit files are important for 32-bit programs.

Yes, if this does not concern long-unused programs.

????? ALL DX9 games are 32-bit programs and also many of pre 2017 DX11 games still are only 32-bit... Please, are you actually informed about the 32/64-bit implementation convention?

You want to stop people from being able to play games older than 2017? By removing the 32-bit part of the driver ?!?

mphuz wrote:

After installation of your driver you can DELETE the installer files.

Don`t tell me what to do.

If you read correctly, I said "can" ... not "must"

But yes, some people really need to be told what to do. Simply to help them feel better with themselves.

You seem really agitated about a complete non-issue. I hope you invest the same amount of energy into helping poor animals or poor people as you do in making sure that there are no small icon images of Crimson left in Adrenalin

All in all I have nothing left to say than: NO, NO, NO we don't need anyone of the driver team to waste time on these non-issues, as long as there are WAY more important issues to fix.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        mphuz

Who cares what is hidden in the driver package?

Just started with the ridiculous answers?

Yes can be kept, I see no problem at all.

Core.

1) Where do the developers say that? Source please. Thanks

Utilities

2) Maybe people using XP still want to be able to use single modules of the most recent AMD driver package -> legitimate

Damn, so even if they download driver for WinXP. Why this ancient unused app to put in the driver for Win10?

As I said in my previous post, the slim version is more resource friendly on slower PCs, so it gives people with lower end PCs an alternative option. Also no problem for high-end users to ignore / not use.

Long will "care" about the slow PC?

????? ALL DX9 games...

What do games care, if I'm talking about installing apps from the driver package? I understand why need amdvlk32, etc., if third-party applications can access them (as games). But why in the 64-bit driver package is 32-bit installer, same Radeon Settings, AMD Report, etc.? When I EXPLICITLY downloading the 64-bit package for my 64-bit system. I don't need a 32-bit copy.

don't need anyone of the driver team to waste time on these non-issues

"We", "non-issue".. Who is "we"?

And you are exaggerating the difficulty of this work. To get rid of garbage and once and for all to approve the correct structure of the drivers package will take them several hours, no more.

The developers in their programs/driver pull the whole "history", starting with WinXP, and then people wonder "why is the program/driver so much weight?".

Well, I hope the developers read this topic and think about it. Bye.

colesdav

Hi,

Sticking with ... Windows 10 64bit, ... the best supported AMD Driver these days I think.

All I want is a Driver Installer that works properly and a Driver that is robust.

So for example:

1. I should be able to uninstall AMD Drivers just using the installer and not have to end up using DDU just to go from Crimson ReLive 17.11.4 to a proper working version of Adrenalin 17.12.1.

2. I would like the AMD Driver to be more robust. I would like to see fewer crashes. Especially since frequently after a crash I have to do a full driver uninstall and reinstall to get the driver to work properly again.

3. I would like to see the recent issue where resetting Global Settings on each one of the 5 AMD GPU's I have on one of my machines causes a Driver stop and restart that seems to take quite some time each time I do it.

4. It was great to see Wattman Profile Load and Save added in Adrenalin Drivers, however I would like AMD Wattman Profile Load and Save Profile to default to a directory which does not get wiped after a driver unninstall/reinstall... Workaround is to save to a separate "AMD GPU PROFILES" directory on my C: drive but each time I want to load or save the profile I have to navigate to that directory for each GPU and I find I might as well set a profile in the Wattman GUI instead at the moment.

5. I have been seeing a frequent problem on Windows 10 64bit Fall Edition where the Radeon Settings GUI turns transparent. I also saw this happen on the Radeon Overlay in 18.1.1 Driver just yesterday. When it happens I have to either kill the Radeon Settings process and restart it. That works sometimes. Mostly I have to reboot the PC.

If anything you are discussing will help the above get fixed / improved then great.

If not then I would prefer the above 5 issues to be fixed first.

Cheers.