AnsweredAssumed Answered

32-bit, CCCSlim and junk

Question asked by mphuz on Dec 23, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 21, 2018 by colesdav

My system: Desktop

AMD HD 7850 2GB, Intel i5 3570, 8GB DRR3 RAM, 650W

Windows 10 64-bit, 1709 (build 16299.125)
Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.2

**sorry for my english**

Dear AMD developers! I have a question for you regarding cleanup the drivers and installer.

We know that many applications suffer from the fact that their code is "fattening". This applies not only to the installed application, but also to its installer.

Next, I will describe the components that, in my opinion, are useless in drivers in 2017 (developers can correct me).

Installer (C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-17.12.2-Dec199)

1. Images Folder. Why does the installer still have images from the Catalyst? (1)

2. Dual-Core Optimizer. Seriously? Why after installing the driver I find that my system has installed an ancient AMD Dual-core Optimizer that only works on Windows XP? And this 64-bit driver for Windows 10!!! (2)

3. "Welcome Images" from Catalyst. Why in the driver is still the remains of small components from the Catalyst? For example, here is this page "welcome generic". (3)

4. CCCSlim. Why does the installer still have this code? What else has not been transferred to the Radeon Settings? (C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-17.12.2-Dec199\Packages\Apps\CN\CCCSlim)

There is Start Now and Core-Static-Net4. The folder weighs ~36 MB. Also installed some other components (the disk) and it all weighs ~56 MB (4)

5. 32-bit components. Now we come to the most interesting. Please tell me why in the 64-bit installer/driver need 32-bit components? I understand if the component was originally 32-bit, and it never was rewritten for 64-bit... But we have a bunch of the same components, but different bitness! It can be as msi files and dll.

For example, Apps: amddvr/amddvr64, A4/A464, cnext/cnext64, CNBranding/CNBranding64. Almost all of these applications are new and do not need 32-bit components?

Next, Drivers: amd_opencl32/amd_opencl64, amdmantle32/amdmantle64, amdvlk32/amdvlk64 etc. (5)

Do these 32-bit components in your driver on modern computers and operating systems? Is there a 64-bit driver or are these 64-bit components a "wrapper"?

I hope that the developers will seriously take this into account and start cleaning up the old components. And the drivers will be transferred to full 64-bits. This will reduce the size of the drivers and improve security.

Thanks!

Attachments

Outcomes