20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2017 10:56 AM by lokokitty

Components already instaled

lokokitty

When trying to install a new driver i get this message (see picture)

• Re: Components already instaled
          elstaci

Need to post your computer specs to properly answer your question. According to that message, The current driver you are trying to install is already installed on your Laptop/Desktop computer.

Try uninstalling the current AMD driver using Windows Uninstall and than use DDU in safe mode to completely remove any traces of AMD current driver. Also delete before reinstalling the full AMD driver set in the root directory C:\AMD folder. After reinstallation, again delete the C:\AMD folder if everything is working correctly.

It's possible that Windows Updated your AMD Graphic driver after you rebooted. Try disabling the Internet temporarily before reinstalling your AMD full driver set.

lokokitty

Ok so i did what you told me to and im pretty sure it worked but now when downloading i get this message (picture)Error.png

elstaci

Could you possibly copy a image of GPU-Z to determine exactly what GPU you have installed?  Or better yet a log from SPECCY.

Please post your computer's specs. it is important.

It is possible that you are trying to install the Wrong AMD driver for your AMD GPU card.

Once you post your Computer specs with a image of GPU-Z I will see which AMD driver you need to download for your computer.

lokokitty

Is this what you are lookingspeccy.png for?

(sorry i'm new to this sort of stuff but you can probably tell)

elstaci

Yes, that was what I was looking for except you need to open the "Graphics" panel to see what type of GPU you have installed on Speccy. Than again upload the image.

Thanks

lokokitty

Ok here you go.speccy graphics.png

elstaci

Ok, that is showing the MS Basic adapter. Do YOU KNOW what GPU card you have in your computer? What Graphic card Make and model?  (Like HD 7850, Rx480/ 560 Etc.)

Sorry for all the hassles, but I am trying to determine what Graphic card you have installed inside your computer. Without that data, I won't be able to locate the proper AMD driver to install. So please bear with me. I know this is getting frustrating.

lokokitty

Sorry, i don't know which card i have if there is a way to find out please tell me so i can let you know.

As for the hassle thank you for helping me.

elstaci

Did you build your own computer or did you buy the entire computer as a unit?

Try this, Uninstall the current AMD driver as mentioned in the previous post except DON"T DISABLE the INTERNET. Reboot and let see if Windows Update installs the driver for your GPU card. If it does, go to Device Manager under "Display Adapters" and see what GPU card is showing. Don't reinstall any AMD drivers yet. Hopefully, WIndows Update will install the correct driver for your card. If not go to Setup and click on Windows Update to see if it sees your GPU card and downloads a driver for it. Also check your BIOS and see if it sees a GPU installed.

You can always remove the GPU card and look at the stickers and post it here. We might be able to determine the GPU card you have installed.

If you know what company made your computer, You can contact them to find out what GPU card came with your Model computer system.

For instance, as an example,  if it is a HP computer, you can contact HP Support and give them the Computer serial number or model number and they might be able to tell you what GPU was installed in that system or it might be a Lenovo or Acer etc.

Without knowing what GPU card you have installed It will be impossible to help due that I wouldn't know what driver to recommend to download.

Hey, This is the best way to learn how to troubleshoot your computer in the future. Learning through experience, good or bad, will be beneficial in learning about computers in the future.

lokokitty

Does the data you already have narrow the sale of drivers down at all?

I don't know if it will work but i could just try downloading each one until one works?

It's not very efficient but could work.

elstaci

Unfortunately, no. I wouldn't advise you doing that. It will be a waste of your time. Best way is to identify your GPU card than download the appropriate driver. You might even have a Legacy (Old Non-Supported) Graphic card.

Try uninstalling the AMD drivers and reboot with Internet connected and see if Windows Update will try to install the driver for your GPU. If it does, you can open "Device Manager" under "Display Adapters" and see what GPU is displayed. If it shows MS Basic Display Adapter then your GPU wasn't recognized.

If you feel comfortable, Unplug the power to your computer and open your Computer case and remove the Card that has your monitor or TV connected to it. Carefully remove it. There should be one or more White Stickers with Data on the graphics card. If you can Post the information on those White stickers we should be able to identify your GPU card. If you are unsure about how to open your computer case or remove or install a computer card, try going to Youtube. They are very helpful in showing step by step in these type of situations. Make sure you reinstall the Graphics card in the same exact slot on your computer motherboard.

if you get stuck let me know.

lokokitty

Oh, i don't know if this is useful but "ATI Radeon 3000  graphics" is currently what i have?

Im pretty sure that was automatic as its the one i had before and i deleted it to try and install a new one.

elstaci

That helps a lot. If that is your GPU card. AMD doesn't support it anymore with updated Drivers. The last supported Driver was for Windows 8 from the year 2013.  Your card is Legacy (Old and Non-Supported). It recommends that Windows 10 Windows Update download and install a compatible AMD driver for your GPU card. here is a copy of that page from AMD Support:

Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series

Article Number: GPU-624

ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization in October, 2013.

No additional driver releases are planned for these products.

The last operating system supported using the AMD drivers was Microsoft Windows® 8 with the AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver package, which can be downloaded from the AMD Driver page : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

If your system is equipped with one of these products, you may consider the following options:

• Continue using the last operating system that fully supported your graphics card.
                                    • Upgrade to an AMD graphics product that provides Windows® 10 support. For information about resellers and product availability, visit: http://shop.amd.com
                                      • NOTE: Before upgrading ensure that your system meets the requirements of the graphics adapter, such as:
                                        • Motherboard with compatible graphics card slot
                                        • Adequate power supply unit to handle the complete system power requirements
                                        • Display with compatible connections
                                      lokokitty

OKay so what exactly should i do?

How do i allow windows to update it?

elstaci

Okay,

First: Delete from the root Directory C:\AMD folder.  The root directory is the view that opens when you click on MYPC (You can find it on the MS Menu at the bottom left corner of your screen) and then click on your Windows Hard drive marked as C:\.

Second: Use Windows Control Panel - Uninstall to uninstall any AMD drivers you have on your computer. Afterwards use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode to uninstall any remaining AMD driver software on your computer. Reboot with Internet connected.

Third: wait a few minutes and see if Windows Update installs the correct driver for your Legacy HD 3000 GPU card automatically. Usually , You can tell if Windows is installing the driver if your screen blacks out for a few seconds then comes back on again. If nothing happens go to Control Panel and Click on Device Manager. Then click on "Display Adapter" and see if it is showing your GPU card. If it is still showing MS Basic Display Adapter. See if in Device Manager there is any "Unknown Devices" showing. If so, Click on the UNKNOWN DEVICE and open it up to show Properties. Under Properties, click on UPDATE DRIVER. Follow the instructions.

This is another way you can install the recommended driver. Found this at Tom's Hardware site: ATI Radeon Graphics 3000 on Windows 10 reverted back to Windows Basic Display Driver - [Solved] - Graphics Cards

I hit the same problem today as well with an old ATI Radeon HD 4350.

I fixed it by going to Device Manager -> Display adapters -> (my adapter) -> Driver tab -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> select the newest driver that is not the 7/25/2017 update. I think it was something like January 2015 and I think the version might have been 8.970.100.9001. Anyway, I hit Next/OK/whatever and the screen went dark a few times and then things were back to normal.

Maybe the problem will come back, but for now this seemed to work. If this worked for you, kindly upvote me. :)

In another thread, someone posted a website where you can download the driver that Windows Update would normally install. I will see if I can find that thread with the download website.

Let me know if Windows Update installs the driver for your GPU card.

elstaci

Locokitty,

this link may be of interest to you concerning the AMD driver that Windows 10 download should install in your computer. AMD Display Driver 8.970.100.9001 fails to work in Windows 10 version - Microsoft Community

By the Way, is your computer a Desktop or Laptop? I forgot to ask you that important information.

lokokitty

Ok so now it is again showing the basic microsoft adapter

lokokitty

Just a question,auto.png would the option automatically detect driver not find the right one for me?