3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2017 3:30 AM by tommygunn

Random 1-5 second black screens when playing Battlefield 1 - why?

tommygunn

I am having continued issues with random, short duration black screens in BF1. I have no idea what the cause is and I've tried 144Hz, 120Hz and 100Hz and it happens randomly and multiple times on each.

My system is not overclocked and I've tried many different versions of the GPU driver, old and new.

My specs are as follows:

Viewsonic XG2401 1080/144Hz

Ryzen 5 1600

G.Skill 16Gb 2400MHz

XFX RX580 8Gb

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

Windows 10 Home 64bit

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can resolve it?

Cheers,

Tom.

• Re: Random 1-5 second black screens when playing Battlefield 1 - why?
          tommygunn

After doing a DDU and loading on 17.12.2 I'm now getting this problem with BFBC2. Previously I was getting hard crashes with BFBC2.

Tom.

• Re: Random 1-5 second black screens when playing Battlefield 1 - why?
              leyvin

Try running Games in Windowed / Borderless Fullscreen.

It might sound strange but the past 6 months of Windows 10 updates have introduced a bizarre glitch which Microsoft is entirely unsure as to the cause, which has inconsistent results for people...

(personally I think it's related to Game Mode that they introduced,. especially as you can't actually disable it anymore... if you're system supports it then it's active by default)

For some this results in a Driver Crash, others a Black Screen and most common it will randomly Minimise the Application ... typically twice within a 3600 Second Period,. before being fine for the rest of the play Session.

This isn't exclusive to AMD Hardware as a note,. the NVIDIA Forums are also full of people complaining about it.

Reality is that this is a Windows (Microsoft) not Hardware / Driver issue.

Borderless / Windowed Fullscreen doesn't eliminate it,. but if you close all Desktop Windows it'll behave more like a Loss-of-Focus and occur less often.