1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 21, 2017 8:44 AM by elstaci

AMD software won't start, driver won't initialize with AMD driver after Windows 10 update

mpostma

I applied windows 10 updates today, and after the reboot, none of the AMD Radeon software drivers will load properly. I have used the removal tool, reinstalled the drivers that were previously working, re-installed 12.1, and have installed latest drivers as well (all with a cleanup between attempts). None of the drivers will initialize the graphics card and I have to fall back to the standard Windows 10 VGA driver. If I try to run the AMD utilities, it says there isn't a card installed. Driver installation completes without any problems/errors. Device manager reports Code 43 (Windows has stopped this device, etc...)

Radeon RX570 card

In the driver Events section, I see an event that the PCI link was not migrated due to "partial or ambiguous match"

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_C5701682&REV_EF\4&2f1c4782&0&0018 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: PCI

Followed by 4 more entries:

(Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service amdkmdap...) with a status 0

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service amdkmdag for Device Instance ID PC with a status 0

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service AMD External Events Utility for Device Instance ID PCI wit a status of 0

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver c0322096.inf_amd64_7ff7d53c3793b9e4\c0322096.inf for Device Instance ID PCI with a status of 0

I'm not sure if these messages are relevant to the current issue (but I suspect so)

This has taken my home office/work system down for 2 hours today, and impacts other processes that I have running on this machine, therefore is costing me $$ until the AMD drivers are functional again.

Is there any indication of why this has happened, or what the workaround is currently?

• Re: AMD software won't start, driver won't initialize with AMD driver after Windows 10 update
          elstaci

What version of Windows are you using? What CPU and PSU do you have installed?  Make and Model of MoBo? etc.

Did you use DDU to uninstall the current AMD driver set?  Did you download the Full AMD Driver set for your GPU?

Does your MoBo have the latest BIOS and AMD Chipset installed?  Make sure your PSU (at least 500 watts) has enough power to run your system with the AMD GPU card under heavy load.

Be certain your latest Windows version is fully updated via Windows Update including "Optional" updates.

Also be sure to delete in the Root Directory C:\AMD folder BEFORE installing the current AMD drivers. Then AFTER installation of AMD driver set delete the C:\AMD folder again once the drivers are installed and working correctly.