18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2018 8:33 PM by slayer071680

Threadripper 1950X system crashing and freezing when gaming or watching videos.

missfit

CPU: Threadripper 1950X

Motherboard: ASUS Prime X399-A

RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 (4x4GB)

Graphics: GeForce gtx 1060

600 Watt PSU

Multiple clean installs of OS and all drivers. When playing games system will crash and/or freeze. The same happens when watching videos (youtube, twitch, etc.). When crash occurs while viewing videos sometimes the video windows will simply stop playing and go green, leaving all other content visible. When gaming the display will black out then come back, or it will stay black and the audio and inputs will remain unaffected. Different, known working, RAM and graphics cards have been tested in the system with the same results. All connected devices function correctly when connected to other systems. Sometimes the system will blue screen. Any one have an suggestions? I'm anxious to get the system up and running.

Thank you!

• Re: Threadripper 1950X system crashing and freezing when gaming or watching videos.
          dotmcl

This is pretty much a shot in the dark, but can you try using the GPU in another slot?

• Re: Threadripper 1950X system crashing and freezing when gaming or watching videos.
            schro

Maybe an (unfixed) bug like this? AMD Confirms It's Issuing a Fix To Stop New Ryzen Processors From Crashing Desktops | Digital Trends

My PC crashs too. Using 3D-Software Cinema 4D by Maxon. My YouTube crash video: RenderPC und Cinema 4D. Crash - YouTube

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X mit 69 °C (Tctl, Tdie 40°C)

RAM: 8,00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1599MHz (16-18-18-38) (or 32GB G.Skill SniperX Urban Camouflage DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Quad Kit: SKU F4-3200C16Q-32GSXWB)

Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. X399 SLI PLUS (MS-7B09) (SP3r2) 38 °C

Graphics: S2243W (1920x1200@59Hz) @ 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (Gigabyte) 36 °C or GTX970 4GB

Storage: 465GB Crucial CT500MX500SSD1 (SSD) + 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA) 41 °C

Optical Drives: No optical disk drives, Audio: High Definition Audio

NOW I changed the RAM, too. DDR4 32GB (2x16384MB) F4-3200C16D-32GTZSK. still crashs. help, please.

misterj

misfit, the most obvious problem I see is insufficient power supply!  I use a 850 Watt Enermax and see no problems.

misfit and schro, make sure you have plenty of horsepower in your supply, are running qualified (by your MB vendor) memory and no OCing till you have a stable system.  Enjoy, John.

BTW, most 16 GB memory sticks are dual rank, meaning double load on bus and slower speeds.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  schro

misterj, Do you use Cinema4D? I use a 750 watt power supply unit and only one graphics card. 750 watts seem more than enough to me. Rendering should demand more power from the power supply than a few mouse clicks. 40 minutes of rendering worked perfectly so far. But a few seconds to click is already too much for the PC.

Missfit solved the problem by swapping RAM, not me. My new RAM is qualified by your MB vendor.

misterj

Thanks, schro.  I do not use Cinema4D and am not familiar with it.  Is it something I can play with for free?  If so, with some help, I can try.  I think 750 Watts should be enough and your temperatures all look good.  I would be surprised if misfit continues to run fine with only a 600 Watt supply.  Your system should be faster with 4x8 GB.  I assume you are running 2 channel memory.  Your problem could still be memory.  I suggest you try another 2 Channel memory slot pair.  Try all pairs if still failing, then try one stick in several slots, then the other stick.  If you have a stick problem it should show and if you have a slot problem it should show.  Please let us hear what you learn.

Does you system produce minidumps when it crashes?  If so, please compress and post the folder: "C:\Windows\Minidump".

Here is my system:

ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming, Threadripper 1950X, 2xSamsung SSD 960 EVO RAID0, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL [Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Windows 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.0

Thanks and enjoy, John.

schro

Hi, thanks for your answer. You get a Cinema4D Demo for free Demo Download - MAXON | 3D FOR THE REAL WORLD

I tested 8, 16 and 32 gb ram. I always used the prescribed slots.

No Minidumps.

misterj

Thanks, schro.  OK, I have DLed and installed MAXON Cinema4D R 19.053.  It had several Demos that I did not install, but I assume I can later.  Do any of those crash your system?  I opened and updated the application but do not know what to do next.  Can you post a file for me to test with?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

schro

Thanks for trying it out. There are no further updates, downloads or installations necessary. Most crashes are caused by the material manager. If you can open the program, create different materials. In my video, I created only one gradient in the color channel. Some crashes happen faster, most of them a little later.

Watch my video: Threadripper + Cinema 4D = Crash - YouTube

If that's not enough, activate as many material channels as possible. Press the small button with the triangle next to the "Texture" parameter to load whatever you want: Gradient, Noise, Surfaces, Effects ... just change as many parameters as you can. The crash should occur quite unexpectedly.

You can also create different objects and then drag'n'drop the material onto the object.

I hope this is enough. I'm really looking forward to your experience.

A quick guide: Create a glass material in Cinema 4D - YouTube

misterj

Thanks, schro, I will give it a go.  Last night I opened Blender, loaded the Zen demo, exported it as RyzenGraphic_27.dae then opened it in Cinema 4D.  It opened OK but looked nothing like what I expected but no crashes.  I have watched your video but will again.  I think the quick guide will help me.  Please try this.  I think you have two memory sticks in slots A2 and B2.  Please move them to A1 and B1.  I am suspecting a memory slot problem.  Your performance should change little and some believe channel 1 is better than 2.  Please let me hear and I will tell you what I learn.  Enjoy, John.  

schro

The purchased PC contained 4 memory sticks (8 GB each) - D2, C2, A2 and B2. Because that did not work, I reduced the memory step by step - according to instructions. Then I changed the memory and use it for D2 and B2. This is exactly how it is recommended in the manual. I can not do more at the moment. At the moment the PC is for repair.

misterj

schro, I have tried using both the quick guide and your video.  I have seen no crashes.  Since I have almost no knowledge, I am not sure I have gotten close to what is needed.  I get the impression that you are randomly clicking on various options.  I tried the same with no problems.  I tried creating a cylinder similar to the teapot but it did not work well.  I will spend some more time, however.  Have you convinced your system builder that there is a problem?  Have you heard from them or when do you expect to hear?  I will report if I can get a crash, but it does not look good.  Have you reported this to the Cinema 4D technical support?  Perhaps they will have some suggestions.  Have you ever done a Clear CMOS?  This is always a good idea when changing hardware.  Enjoy, John.

schro

Thank you for your efforts. I was also able to create 15 materials without crash. Unfortunately that does not mean that everything is stable. Maxon, my PC dealer and motherboard manufacturer are informed and gave tips. Did not help everything.

I'm not the only one. -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Cinema4D/comments/7vd8yn/is_anyone_here_running_a_threadripper_platform

misterj

Thanks, schro.  I will stop trying to create a freeze.  I was able to create an object, create and paste several materials and render the results with no problems.  I think you are seeing a stall/freeze not a crash.  After reading the Reddit thread you pointed to it does sound like there is a real problem here.  I still want you to try some memory testing but first I suggest you try disabling SMT.  It sounded like most of the Reddit posters had freezes in the Material work.  Most of their other complaints were probably quite different problems.  There is some SW that has basic multi threading problems - not MT Safe.  AMD MT being new, all this SW has been tuned to Intel MTing.  What you are seeing is probably not a MT Safe problem because your processor is freezing, not just the SW.  I hope you will work towards finding a well defined procedure that leads to a crash.  I strongly recommend you open an AMD Support Ticket.  Point to this thread and the Reddit thread.  To run your no SMT test, please do a clear CMOS (see your manual), then boot to UEFI and disable SMT.  But no matter what, please open the AMD Ticket.  Please get a copy of CPU-Z 1.85 and post this screen here and send it to AMD:

CPU-Z1.85.jpg

Thanks and enjoy, John.

schro

Meanwhile, I have opened an AMD Support Ticket. A simultaneous stress test of CPU and GPU says my PSU is sufficient. The video proves it: GPU + CPU Stresstest - YouTube

The new PSU has 850 watts. Nevertheless, the PC is still not stable when working with Cinema 4D. And neither GPU nor CPU is stressed.

Only since I deactivated SMT, the system runs stable. But that is not a permanent solution for me, because I do without half of the threads. The PC will render much longer. Thanks for the tip!

misterj

Great work, schro, thanks!  Cool video, also!  I really believe in the long run the new power supply will pay off.  I hope you can work toward a test case to reproduce your stall.  This could still be a SW problem and I suspect that is what AMD will work to prove.  I have reinstalled my W10, but would still like to try to recreate the stall.  Please let me know if you can give me something to try.  I'll be thinking.  Thanks much and enjoy, John.

slayer071680

i have a 1950x too and have installed and reinstalled windows probably 10 to 15 times in the past year. the system crashes like crazy. i also have an 1800x and that sytem never crashes. yet my 1950x, with all high end parts, crashes all the damned time. about to sell the stupid thing and be done with it.
                                                                my system specs are asus zenith extreme mobo, samsung 960 pro 500 gb m.2, enermax 240 aio liquid cooler (the 360 was out of stock when i built my system and didn't want to wait), a 1000 watt platinum certified corsiar psu, 32 gb of g.skill ram (have both 3600 mhz and 2400 and tried both too see if ram speed was the issue). also have vega 56 and radeon 560 gpu's. tried both and crashes still occur. if need be i have videos on youtube that show it running cinnebench, and a few other programs, the system will run just fine, then issues with windows start occurring after a while. i am not 100% sure, but i think the cpu has problems with windows.