• Asus P8Z77-V
      • CPU/APU
        • Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550
      • RAM
        • 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue.
        • I cannot clean install 17.12.1 on my system. The installer is stuck on "Please wait while detecting hardware..."
        • Installer.log always stops here:

CDCMPCIDriver::[000000000917E7E0] LoadDriver starting...

CDCMPCIDriver::[000000000917E7E0] Loaded Detection Driver successfully

• I have let this run overnight.
          • I have tried DDU and AMD clean utility in safe mode several times.
          • I have run chkdsk and sfc /scannow
          • I have disabled anti-virus.
          • I selected PCIe card as primary in BIOS.
          • I have disconnected secondary monitor.
          • I have checked my registry at HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ATI Technologies for any entries that need deleting. (There were none.)
          • I can successfully manually load the 17.12.1 drivers in device manager after DDU. I've unsuccessfully tried installing the AMD software with and without manual drivers loaded.
          • I can successfully install 17.11.4 drivers software. The AMD software in this version hangs when attempting to update to 17.12.1.
      • Details about applications/games affected (including version number)
        • This discovery began when Wolfenstein 2 would no longer load all of a sudden when using 17.11.4. It attempts to load, the screen goes black, and then returns to desktop. I then attempted to update to AMD latest drivers 17.12.1 but can only do manual install without the full software package. Now when attempting to load Wolfenstein 2 from executable I get the error vulkan-1.dll is missing from your computer (because full software did not install it).
      • Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)
        • N/A
      • If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue
        • Re: Install stuck on Please wait while detecting hardware
          elstaci

One possible problem is that your PSU is too weak for your system running a HD 7850. According to this link: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX  you should have a PSU minimum of 450 watts for total system wattage. You are using a 380 watt PSU.

It is possible that under heavy load (Running a high end game) the PSU is unable to supply enough power to your GPU card.

kerfluffle

I apologize. My PSU is actually a Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550. I have updated my original post.

I have played Fallout 4 and Wolfenstein 2 with no problems up until now at 550W.

spot

Any fix? Having same issue -- I even uninstalled the graphics card complete, ran the installer and it still gets stuck on 'please wait while detecting hardware'

kerfluffle

No I'm still having the same problem. I keep checking for another driver update that will hopefully install properly.

Once again, if anyone is wanting to help, my installer.log hangs at:

CDCMPCIDriver::[00000000067AE3E0] LoadDriver starting...

CDCMPCIDriver::[00000000067AE3E0] Loaded Detection Driver successfully

and does not continue onto the next steps in the install process which should be:

CDCMPciBaseDetector::ScanAllPciDevices::[21-12-2017 06:57:04] umber of cards are less than two

DCM::[21-12-2017 06:57:06] Begin looping through all devices <26>

DCM::[21-12-2017 06:57:06] ATI Hardware -> MarketingName: <AMD Radeon Graphics Processor>; DID: <0x6819>; SSID: <0xe221>; VID: <0x1002>; SSVID: <0x174b>

GetATIHardware::[21-12-2017 06:57:06] card is ATI

kingfish

Is your OS updated?

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Screenshot_31.png

Did you uninstall the old drivers as mentioned here

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

kerfluffle

I checked Windows update and installed the 4 optional downloads and restarted so it shows no new updates available like in your screenshot.

I rebooted in safe mode, used DDU to clean amd drivers, and rebooted in normal mode.

I disabled security essentials real-time protection, ran the 17.12.2 installer and it hangs at the same spot: Please wait while detecting hardware.

My log file is stuck in the same spot. Here is the log:

kerfluffle

I closed the 17.12.2 installer, and opened the 17.11.4 installer and it almost immediately passes the "Please wait while detecting hardware" check and prompts me for Express or Custom install.

Here is that log:

goodplay

Your 17.12.2 log,

min setup.PNG

Did you download/save the full driver pack ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      kerfluffle

I've tried that before, but I gave it another shot. I ran through the standard process, safe mode, DDU, normal mode, full installer, same problem.

Here's that log.

goodplay

Maybe try a 'over the top of' install up from 17.11.4, and use the clean uninstall option in radeon installer (don't use ddu for this).

From there, you may see a delay(can't recall at what stage) in installer showing ~20 secs.

After it's finsh (if), may not be a restart prompt, restart anyway.

kerfluffle

I'm not seeing this. How do I find the "clean install" option in the installer?

Also I've tried the latest 18.1.1 driver and get the same results. It never gets to the

CDCMPciBaseDetector::ScanAllPciDevices::

step in the logs.

goodplay

custom install.PNG

kerfluffle

The installer never makes it that far. With 17.11.4 currently installed, when I run the 18.1.1 full installer, I accept the EULA agreement and the next page is stuck on "Checking for new drivers"

goodplay

You have downloaded/saved the full driver pack (don't use the run option) ?

2 monitors, by any chance, your not surfing/gaming/watching vid/other apps open when trying to install.

Sounds like some app/program is blocking it maybe, try disabling all startup progs/apps in task manager, disable other apps that start minimized, go offline then try install.

That's all I got.

elstaci

Try starting your computer in a "Clean Boot" environment.  This is similar to Safe mode but in regular Windows Desktop. Some Windows  features may not work but you should be able to install the software without any Non-Microsoft apps/programs running in the background. Here is a link to Microsoft showing how to do a "Clean Boot" on Windows 7, 8, and 10.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here isa a summary from above mentioned link explaining about a "Clean Boot":

Summary

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Note If the issue you are having prevents you from booting into Windows, you won't be able to follow the steps in this article. After the device tries to reboot a few times, you should get Windows Recovery Options, which you can use to try to resolve the issue.

Why software conflicts occur

When you start Windows by using a normal startup operation, several applications and services start automatically, and then run in the background. These programs include basic system processes, antivirus software, system utility applications, and other software that has been previously installed. These applications and services can cause software conflicts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scroll further down the link and choose which Windows you have for instructions on how to do a "Clean Boot".

kerfluffle

Ok tried the clean boot mode (while also entering safe mode and running DDU just to be sure) and it still hangs at the same spot).

I also noticed my 17.11.4 driver set that always works has a folder name that says Non-WHQL. Are the latest drivers all WHQL? Could this be what's causing my issue?

elstaci

When you tried to uninstall the current AMD drivers did you delete C:\AMD folder in the Root Directory?

Just to eliminate Windows OS corruption, Run in Elevated Command Prompt  SFC /scannow. This will let you know if there was any missing or corrupted Windows core files.

kerfluffle

went into safe mode, DDU and cleared out drivers. rebooted to repair your computer pre-environment and ran sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

results: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

also removed directory c:\amd while in pre environment.

boot back into normal (still clean) mode, re-downloaded 18.1.1 win7x64 drivers, run as administrator, still hangs at "Please wait while detecting hardware". Log still ends with:

CDCMPCIDriver::[000000000532E9A0] Loaded Detection Driver successfully

(also note I removed, dusted, booted without, then re-seated my card today and did not make a difference.)

elstaci

When you tried to reinstall the AMD Drivers, was your computer connected to the Internet? If it was, it could have installed a different driver than the one you tried to install. Follow the same procedure with the internet disconnect (cable and Wifi ). When I boot back into Windows Desktop after using DDU, I usually check Device Manager to be sure I am on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter which tells me no AMD Display driver is installed.

Try downloading the newest driver from AMD Support -18.3.4  :Desktop .

If not try installing a Previous Driver here : Previous

I once had a Visiontek HD7850 that I had problems with due to corrupted AMD driver installation. The corrupted AMD Driver installation changed some parameters on the card that made it not work. So, I happened to download Visiontek's AMD driver from their Support site and ran it. It was much older than the one I was trying to install from AMD Support. But it installed correctly and got my HD7850 working again. Afterward I reinstalled the latest AMD driver without problems. BTW, the corrupted AMD Driver installation was due to a bad RAM Memory module.

It seems like you have done a good job in eliminating Hardware problems and improperly installing AMD Drivers. Try the AMD drivers from your HD7850 Manufacturer's Support site and try to install that. If it installs without a hitch. Then try installing the latest driver on top of it. Be sure to delete C:\AMD folder before installing the latest driver. See if it installs this time. Just stabbing in the air at the moment.

I downloaded the 17.12 and 17.11 zip files and it seems to indicate that you have installed Window 7 Enterprise version. Could that be the reason why the new drivers are not installing? Windows 7 Enterprise has a security program called APPLOCKER. Make sure that it is not activated by having the four "Rules" boxes unchecked. Otherwise this will prevent certain types of software from installing. I doubt if this is the problem since the AMD Driver package starts the installation, but no harm in checking. Found this link on APPLOCKER : Implement AppLocker Rules in Windows Server 2016 - RootUsers

According to both zip files, 17.11 seems to detect the HD7850 and then continues to install the rest of the driver set, but on the 17.12 it stops at the Detection stage which is indicating that it is not seeing or is having problems recognizing your HD7850 thus is doesn't go any further until it stops detecting your GPU card in your system.

Otherwise, I am out of suggestions. Might want to open a Support Ticket with both AMD and the HD7850 manufacturer's Support site and see what they suggest could be the problem.

kingfish

Also disable anti-virus/malware/personal firewall, etc.

sp00n

I wonder, did you find any solution to the problem kerfluffle? I'm currently stuck at the same step ("Loaded Detection Driver successfully" in the logs, and then it stops).

plumboby

Have you checked your display cables as sometimes a faulty display cable can cause alot of greif I had that problem with installing a couple those updates mine getting stuck on load hang till I went threw my hardware & cables to eliminate it. I am warry of Antec Units I have a simular 600w PSU to yours & had already 1 of my stepsons cough in 18months they arnt made like they use to be. I am Switching brands soon as I Dont trust Antec no more how old is your PSU I suspect its either getting down on wattage or getting a bit under powered. A bit of good advise from some1 whos had a few things fail over the years check over all your hardware cables especially can be a cause of something so simple & annoying.

plumboby

If its getting stuck a problem you will find I found which i blamed drivers for my own fault hardware cable wise. Its not the drivers half the time I had same situation with driver from 17.12.1 to 18.2.1 for a month or 2 till i sorted it properly. 1 i replaced my PSU600w has made a huge diffrence checked all my ram switched my ram from my stepsons build that went down helped a bit, 3 checked my display cables to my old monitor I know its getting old but found was DVI cable getting stuffed have replaced that with fresh 10PRO with updates, tried again wahoo no issues. I did the same trick to my stepsons when deleting his crapvidia for a R7 360OC 2G with a replaced HDMI cable was warry coz of mine loaded up first pop. TO tell the long end of the story short its not the drivers at fault, 9/10 its the cards being picky with cheap crap aftermarket cables lesson learnt run high quality HDMI cables/ DVI display cables push them in firm & hard so no movement, trust me was so simple havnt had driver issues since doing this. Same with checking you PSU requirements to most dont check them of blow out there cases I do on a regular thing now as well as check cables all the time. It may sound stupid but these things corrected a nightmare situation to a Its not AMD drivers fault to its you the Installer User not checking on these common easy to do things that should be checked regularly. On latest driver & dont have the boot hang or black screen of is it going to work or not if you take my advise you take it or blame AMD drivers for something that's i suspect isnt driver related, more leaning towards assesories like cable or hardware related/ human.