2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2017 3:26 PM by tdax

R9 380 - Fan not spinning correctly / grinding.

bdsatc

Radeon Software Version - 17.12.1

Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 970 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 8 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz

As the title states one of my fans on my R9 380 started acting up recently.  The noise coming from it is incredibly loud and sounds like its grinding on something.  I have fully taken the card out and cleaned it / confirmed the fan is not touching anything.  The fan is actually not spinning that fast.  The  other one is spinning quickly and quietly.

I have installed the most recent drivers.  The card is only a year old.  Any thoughts?

• Re: R9 380 - Fan not spinning correctly / grinding.
          elstaci

Sounds like the Fan's bearing is bad. See if the GPU's manufacturer can send you another shroud or fan to replace it under warranty.

I was using a VisionTek HD 7850 when two of the GPU's fan blades broke which caused the GPU card to run hot. I emailed Visiontek Support about the specs (dimensions) of the GPU card's Fan to replace it myself. They said that the card has a limited Lifetime warranty but in my case it was voided because my GPU card was too close to another card on my motherboard. But they said since I was a customer of Visiontek they would send me a new Shroud free of charge even though it was not covered due to the warranty be voided. The new shroud was the entire cover with the heatsink and fan. I replaced the Shroud (GPU Cover) and the GPU card was good as new. I needed to reapply Thermal paste to replace the entire cover though.

• Re: R9 380 - Fan not spinning correctly / grinding.
            tdax

agree with elstaci, fan noise is almost always a problem with the fan itself, I had that problem on an HP elitebook, and found a replacement on ebay for 7 bucks, a fairly easy install (a solution for those out of warranty)

Different units vary in difficulty, had a dell laptop that was almost impossible to get at the fan, fortunately, the elitebook was pretty easy, downloading a service manual should give you a pretty good idea of what you're looking at, if you go that route

ever since, I keep a can of computer air, and blast the area about once a month, so the fan doesn't have to work as hard