2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 1:52 PM by ray_m

LogonUI.exe error on Windows 10 Pro startup

darkmessiah

Hello,

So now that the Adrenalin Edition is out, obviously I tried to download and install it right away. My Radeon settings program notified me of an update so I downloaded it and right after it installed it. After first downloading for a while and then installing, it said it was installed succesfully. I had to choose between restarting now or close the program. I chose to restart it of course. At went well until the part where the login screen of Windows 10 is supposed to appear. The screen goes completely green (color scheme of my theme that I have on my pc), and after a whileit goes flickering like crazy and then gives me a message saying LogonUI.exe cannot be loaded or read or something with an error code that looks like this: 0x00000000. I read on some forums that someone had the same problem (although not this exact problem) where his pc would get stuck there. The only solution to it was to revert to a previously made system restore point (that I did not make myself). So I did that. Everything was back to normal and I could use my pc again, even though I did not have the newest driver version. Now today, again Radeon settings gave me a notification that there is an update available, so I was like, well lets try it again. But nope, same issue, again a flickering screen at the login screen, and after a while a weird error.

What am I supposed to do and what's causing this error? As of now I am uninstalling the Radeon driver completely while in "Safe" mode, but its been uninstalling for a long time now, it almost seems stuck as the bar shows no progress whatsoever.

Below are my relevant system specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon RX480 4GB

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790

Motherboard: MSI Military Class 3 H81M-P33

RAM: 8GB

Thanks in advance

• Re: LogonUI.exe error on Windows 10 Pro startup
          darkmessiah

UPDATE: The issue is resolved. I booted into safe mode and then disabled the GPU device there. Then I rebooted the pc and it booted on a very small resolution, but at least the pc was functional. I then disabled my anti-virus software (just to be sure) and uninstalled the AMD driver. I downloaded the new driver (Adrenalin Edition) on the AMD website and installed that with the anti-virus software still off. I then restarted the pc and there were no issues.

I don't know what caused the problem, maybe I should've done a clean install of the driver from the start? Or maybe it was the anti-virus, I don't know, but at least people can use this if they have the same problem.

• Re: LogonUI.exe error on Windows 10 Pro startup
            ray_m

MODERATOR NOTE:  I am glad to see you have resolved your issue. To help keep this post on topic and help other with a similar issue, I am locking this thread.