6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2018 12:37 AM by pokester

RX 480 Random crashes in every game

mathdu07

Hello,

I used to have a Radeon HD 7770, games were running fine. I bought a RX480 early this year, without any problem, until some months ago.

I am encountering serious issues with my RX 480. Every time I launch a game, it crashes (black screen and then back to the desktop) after a certain amount of time (can be 15 minutes as well as 2 hours). So I reformarted my PC, but crashes are still happening. I even sent the GPU where I bought it but they did not find anything and send it back to me, without sending the GPU to the manufacturer. Even though the GPU is overclocked, I haven't installed ASUS TweakTool that come with it.

----

Information about my system :

• AMD Graphics Card
        • ASUS AMD RX 480 with 4 GB
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • Desktop
      • Operating System
        • E.g. Windows 7 64 bit
      • Driver version installed
        • E.g. Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1
      • Display Devices
        • LG Flatron E2242 1920x1080 @60Hz Active DP to VGA adapter
      • Motherboard + Bios Revision
        • P8Z77M Bios Version 2203
      • CPU/APU
        • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz

• Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Corsair VS650, 650W

• RAM
        • 12GB

----

Here is the error I get when Batman Arkham Asylum crashes :

crash-batman-arkham.png

I've also attached the sensors log given by HWiNFO64.

• Re: RX 480 Random crashes in every game
          pokester

This was an issue introduced in the drivers  17.7.2 and later. The good news is new adrenaline drivers fix it. Make sure to uninstall then run DDU to get a clean start. Get it here Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.8.1 .

I also suggest turning off the steam overlay if your still having issues.

If you want to get it working most the time in the older drivers it is an issue with the variable states of speed in wattman. Set all your speeds and all your voltages to the max for your card and this will help.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            mathdu07

I have noticed that crashes happen more often in some games (Batman Arkham Asylum, GTA V) than others.

For instance I've encountered 2 crashes in Nier Automata (have played for nearly 20h) whereas games mentionned above crash nearly every hour.

pokester

I noticed something causing issues in my games and resetting to defaults then disabling the individual gaming profile helped a lot. You may need to install the old 17.7.1 driver or whatever last driver that you know worked for you to get relief. It certainly seems they know they still have issues and are working on it. Frustrating I know! Something I haven't tried and and have considered giving a go is would the vanilla driver only make a difference without all the baggage of the settings and overlays? If you feel like messing around you could try that. For now I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Most everything is working good now, other than many DX9 games being broken in the latest drivers.