1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 1:44 PM by ray_m

My display displays it's menus when I use the DP  cable but not when using HDMI

jansensensei

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
        • PowerColor RX480
      • Desktop or Laptop System / OS
        • Windows 10 64bit desktop
      • Driver version installed
        • Various. I use the Radeon Settings app to stay up to date. Problem has been happening over multiple versions
      • Display Devices
        • Philips 2886PL 28" @ 4K using DP cable
      • Motherboard + Bios Revision
        • MSI Tomahawk Z170 (I think). Latest drivers. Problem spanning multiple versions
      • RAM
        • 16GB
      • CPU
        • Intel 6th Gen i5-6500 @ 3.2GHz

I don't even know how to describe the problem so let me just start and see where I end up... So my monitor has touch buttons on it that you can use to set the input source, the brightness and various other settings. Touching any of these "buttons" brings up an OSD which then disappears after something like 2 seconds of not receiving input. Typical Monitor stuff.

Now, when I connect my GPU to the monitor via HDMI I get absolutely no problem whatsoever but now that my Rift is using the HDMI port I am back to using the DP cable for my general purpose use. This means I am back to having the same issue that I had months ago. At random times, sometimes once a week, sometimes twice a day my monitor starts showing it's OSD then it vanishes after a few seconds... then returns... etc. The longer I ignore this problem the faster the OSD starts to appear and remove itself. Some times it goes to other sections of the OSD but it always ends up the same way... eventually my screen turns to black and it just stays that way.

Normally when this is happening the OSD buttons are unresponsive to my touch and controlled externally exclusively (didn't even know that was possible). So now I am left wondering: "Is this an issue with the monitor or with the GPU?" and honestly I don't know but here is the really worrying part...

When my display turns to black it doesn't just show a black screen, it is actually turned off. I am not able to turn it on again using the touch controls and even by using the power button on the rear. I started resorting to drastic measures and started pulling out the power cable for a few seconds and then reinserting it again. Even THEN I was not able to turn on the monitor. It simply stayed black and the power LED never comes on. So then I remove the DP cable, wait a few seconds and voila, "no signal" message displaying all over the screen and the power button is on again and all is well. I reinsert the DP cable and voila, my screen is right where I left it... now I can get back to using my PC and waiting for it to happen again... a few minutes later... or a few days.

Software open at the time this happens:

Sometimes: Mail, Chrome, Unity, Visual Studio, multiple sessions of Windows Explorer, Oculus app, SourceTree, Photoshop, WhatsApp, Notepad, SnipIt

Sometimes: Chrome only

Sometimes: Mail only

Just to reiterate: This happens ONLY with the DP cable (supplied with the monitor) when connected to any of the DP ports on the card. HDMI does NOT have this problem. So, does this sound like a GPU or monitor issue and does anyone have any clue how I can fix this problem?

Thanks