3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2017 8:33 AM by elstaci

Blue Screen When Updating Driver After Fresh Windows 10 Install

birdspirit

I have an AMD Radeon 7700 series. I've tried multiple times to install the driver but my laptop keeps bluescreening. I followed some troubleshooting instructions and made sure all Intel and Windows updates are installed. I used the AMD utility app to uninstall any leftover components I might have had. I've tried installing in safe mode but cannot because it tells me there's no digital signature. What do I do next?

• Re: Blue Screen When Updating Driver After Fresh Windows 10 Install
          elstaci

First you need to post more of your Laptop specs including manufacturer and model number, Windows version installed, AMD driver installed, CPU etc.

I would install the laptop's manufacturer's AMD drivers since they are customized to work correctly on your Laptop. Also see if your laptop has any new BIOS that might make it more compatible with the latest version of Windows plus the latest Chip set for your laptop if from or newer than October 2017.

birdspirit

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron 7520

BIOS: A11

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8062MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

I updated the BIOS and chipsets that I found. The amd driver I from Dell installed couldn't even detect it. However, it did not cause a blue screen during installation (likely because it thought the driver didn't exist). But when I restarted the laptop, it bluescreened and I had to disable the driver in safe mode. Basically, any sort of interaction with the graphics driver causes bluescreen.

elstaci

Try running MEMTEST86 and check your RAM memory modules. Also run SFC /scannow in Command Prompt -admin Rights to check your Windows 10 installation.

Also use DDU after using Windows to uninstall AMD driver set. Delete C:\AMD folder before reinstallation of the new AMD driver. Windows 10 must be fully updated via Windows Update. Disconnect from Internet to prevent Windows from installing another driver than the one you are trying to install.

It sounds like you have a Hardware problem. Possibly your GPU might have gone bad. Contact Dell Support and let them know what is happening. They might be able to guide you to see if your laptop needs to be repaired.

My computer (Desktop) started to BSOD frequently during installations of software or upgrading to the latest Windows version. Turned out to be a bad memory module. Replaced the RAM memory module and all my BSOD disappeared.