0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2017 11:53 PM by jimmiess

Vega 64 Liquid // All drivers constantly crashing to black screen during installation

jimmiess

Hi everyone. I just set up a brand-newbuild and have encountered tremendous difficulty getting my GPU drivers installed.

Describe your system:

• Desktop: Custom built (brand new components)
      • GPU. Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled Edition
      • OS. Windows 10 64bit (1709)
      • GPU Driver. Most recent driver (17.12.1) and legacy drivers all the way back through 17.9.1.
      • Display. LG 34UC98-W 34" ultrawide with Freesync support
      • Motherboard. ASRock AB350 ITX, Bios/UEFI version 3.4 (latest version)
      • CPU. Ryzen 1700X (stock speeds)
      • PSU. Silverstone SST SX650 650 watt
      • RAM. 32 GB (2x16)

Describe your issue:

• When installing GPU drivers, the screen will go entirely black and hang indefinitely until I hard reset. After hard resetting, the machine will either: (1) boot up Windows with no drivers installed; OR (2) hang indefinitely at the Windows logo (can't get to login screen) requiring further hard resets until I boot into recovery mode.
      • I've tried numerous techniques to resolve this (see below), including recommendations contained in prior threads in this forum, but nothing has worked. HOWEVER, I was able to install driver 17.10.1 with no black screen and was able to install and run games (Starcraft 2) after, but when I restarted the machine, I could not get past the Windows logo (indefinite hang requiring hard resets). I also cannot consistently replicate this success (only happened twice).
      • I've tried the following:
        • Installing legacy drivers all the way back to 17.9.1 -- they all lead to the same result
        • Installing using the minimal installation tool
        • Installing drivers in safe mode (installation app says it can't detect the card in safe mode)
        • Installing drivers manually through Device Manager (in safe mode and normal Windows, same result for both)
        • Disabling Windows update
        • Disabling Windows antivirus
        • Disabling driver signing
        • Checking power cables
        • Connecting 2 independent 8pin connectors to the GPU
        • Updating my bios/UEFI to the latest version
        • Reformatting/reinstalling Windows
      • When uninstalling/installing drivers, I use DDU each time.