7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2017 9:44 PM by colesdav

Early Access Hardware – The Problem With AMD Vega Frontier Edition

john007

Linus tells the truth regarding the problems with vega.

Early Access Hardware – The Problem With AMD Vega Frontier Edition - YouTube

• Re: Early Access Hardware – The Problem With AMD Vega Frontier Edition
          colesdav

Hi,

I do not know about the "Truth" of this video.

What I do know is I am totally and utterly confused about what does or does not work in RX Vega 64/FE, where it really sits in Performance/Power today (I think RX Vega 64 Liquid is ~ GTX1080 performance in Gaming), or what will be done in the future in terms of Vega respins?

I am still interested in RX Vega 64 Liquid cards, but not for 600 when I could purchase a GTX1080Ti mini for 650 or a GTX1080 for 450.

All AIB cards I have seen so far are around 680. I do not think they will be easy to get before Christmas now in any case.

One very important question for me. Does RX Vega HBCC work / will it ever work? - Linus Slide at 8:22/11: 31 says no. Is that correct?

HBCC was really pushed in the Vega Marketing.

Does anyone know what is happening with HBCC on RX Vega? Does it  work with the Adrenalin Driver now?
          It is pretty important to know because I need a card with >= 8GB VRAM now. Held off again to see the end of year (Adrenalin) driver.

I have stayed with AMD and now run 4 R9 Nanos on this machine alone with more R9 Nano/or FuryX on the way, if I can find them.

Thanks.  

john007

Hello.

Did you watch the video from Linus? Did you recognize that AMD delayed the review of vega as much as possible, they didn't even provide a sample GPU to test. He actually purchased a vega with his own money.

You can clearly see from Linus and many other reviewers that vega gets eaten for breakfast even from a 1080ti. How in all that's glory did a 1080ti beat a HBM2 GPU? I'll tell you why, because vega has half the bandwidth we discussed this.

I would like my 50mhz back for the Fury X, and I know you aint happy about that either.

Apparently AMD ceased production of vega already. Not that many about.

colesdav

Hi,

No need to be angry please. I was not attacking anyone.

By "Truth" I just mean the video is just his side of the story, and there has been no response to it from AMD.

Yes I watched the video completely. 
              I followed Vega from the start. Purchased R9 Nano's because it was late. Can't justify purchase now at current costs.  Still buying R9 Nanos/FuryX.

I had not seen any reviews with the latest Adrenalin Driver. I was hoping there would be some perfomance gains.

I just have - here: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 64 Limited Edition review | PCWorld
              I make no comment about it other than no I would not purchase one because of the size, weight, support bracket needed and required PSU.

Similar story with the PowerColor and Asus Strix cards.
              I still wait to find a review of the XFX Vega 64 that card does interest me, again depending on the price.

Those Vega FE are on sale here for around 900. 16GB of HBM would come in useful but again, whist I am pretty confident about building my own PC and modding laptops, I am not so happy about ripping a new GPU apart to fit an AIO Cooler on it. That tends to kill your Customer Guarantee here immediately.

I would consider an RX Vega Liquid edition or a watercooled Vega FE but the prices would have to drop significantly for me versus what I could obtain R9 Nano/R9 FuryX or GTX1080Ti. I considered them too expensive even at Black Friday prices of 600 versus two R9 Nanos @ 300 each, which outperform the RX Vega Liquid 64 as far as I can tell on anything I need to run.

I just had another look and today, AIB cards have dropped in price with the Saphire Nitro at 620 on pre-order.
              Other AIB's seem to range between 650-680 again on pre-order, depending on where you look.

RE: I would like my 50mhz back for the Fury X, and I know you aint happy about that either.

Regarding the MSI Afterburner issue, yes with the latest latest version of MSI Afterburner on 17.11.4 it appears that Overclocking my R9 Nano HBM  by extending overclocking ranger is completely disabled.
              Latest version of MSI Afterburner does allow Overclocking of HBM on earlier AMD Drivers.
              I have not tried latest MSI Afterburner with Adrenalin yet.
              I will try that next.
              I was going to post about it but my last thread was locked, so I get the impression it is an absolute no go area for discussion on these forums.
              I gave you my email if you need to discuss it elsewhere.

RE: Apparently AMD ceased production of vega already. Not that many about.
              I do not know if that is true.

I did contact a supplier today to see if there were any more RX Vega Liquid Edition cards on the way or if any AIB's were going to manufacture Vega 64 Liquid cards with Triple Fan Radiators. They do not know the answer to either question.

I am still interested in AMD GPU and to see what the story is with Vega / Navi moving forwards.
              It would be nice to know what the plans are after Vega. Possibly time to look to the future now.

I had a few days spare to test Adrenalin Driver at work. I like the new Radeon Overlay. I see a few issues. I submitted AMD Report Forms.
              Anyhow, have a good Christmas and a Happy new year.

Cheers.

john007

Hello,

I apologize if the reply was hostile, it wasn't towards you.

You wont get a response from AMD regarding this because they delayed the review as much as possible Linus states this, that's why he purchased the GPU himself.

You are considering purchasing a Vega? After all whats happened? Unless you are a developer there is no logic to this?

This is why I said 'apparently' regarding Vega discontinued, We'll have to wait and see for new stock.

Well I believe Vega is 100% Early Access Hardware, and because of this, even I got to feel the pain with the Fury X.

I don't know what to do either I was going with Threadripper/Vega but AMDMatt saved my pocket change on that one, no way will I purchase.

Looks like an i9 with the new Titan V HBM2.

This is interesting, just looking at some apparent stats for the NVidia HBM2 range and I noticed the TitanV has a 3072bit memory bandwidth? If you want the original 4096bit you would need the Tesla V100(PCIe) and that's $10,000.

AMD team listen up, is it possible to tame a 4096bit HBM2 GPU with 8GB memory? This needs to be the next GPU.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                  wkcook

I believe you have all answered this question...For me anyway.

My son is a big nVidia fan and was quite thrilled at the Linus video.  I, on the other hand, was quite disappointed.  Not just that I really wanted the Vega FE but that I was very thrilled to see competition in the market!  I think this is a blow to AMD's credibility.  Not easy to get that back.

I was looking forward to a Threadripper/Vega FE build.  But now, not sure what graphics card to buy.

Thanks,

WKCook

john007

Hello,

I couldn't agree more, it upsets me also especially when big reviewers like Linus are practically laughing at AMD right now its a ******** shame.

As a loyal Redteam user since 99' I wouldn't recommend anything AMD right now I'm afraid.

GPU's too overpriced.

Too power hungry.

Lost trust in the company.

Overpriced Motherboards for Threadripper.

Slow driver updates, if any.

No fixes on classic games which break on new AMD drivers.

Lost my Overclock abilities on a 750GBP Fury X. ( The reason I'm so angry right now) The GPU is a stuttering mess.