0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 3:00 PM by carrigon

Black Screen with Latest Win 10 Fall Update HD8970M HD8650G

carrigon

I have a laptop with Win 10 Home 64 on it and Radeon HD8970M and HD8650G.  It has been running fine with the latest mobile Crimson Catalyst driver.  (radeon-crimson-relive-17.11.4-minimalsetup-171128_web.exe)  Today, I had a Win 10 update that added the new Fall features build.  The update is incompatible with the Crimson drivers.  When the update installed, it disabled or uninstalled the Crimson driver and control center.  So I used the DDU and tried a clean install of the Crimson.  It gave me a black screen.  I tried using a prior version of the Crimson only to get the same black screen.  I ended up reverting to the previous Windows build, reinstalling the Crimson, and I had to reinstall the Catalyst by going to its install folder and clicking on it from there.  The video and Catalyst controls are fine now, but I've disabled Windows Updates as I've found it auto downloads an incompatible video driver, as well, which also causes the black screen, I have it set to not install drivers automatically, but it doesn't always listen to that.  Do I have to wait for a new Crimson update before trying to update Win 10 again?  And will there be an updated Crimson driver?  I don't know what else to do.  I won't be able to keep Windows Update service off forever.  As soon as I enable it again I'll end up with the same problems with the updates and black screen.