0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2017 3:49 AM by dotmcl

Frequency jumps when at low cpu load (Ryzen 7 1700x)

dotmcl

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of issue with their system and if this is normal behavior. I usually leave HWInfo running in the background for most of the time my PC is running, It's all fine and good at above 30% load, however when doing really low CPU loads like browsing, watching a movie, etc. I can see my Base Clock jumping from 100Mhz to about 102.8 Mhz (max). I would expect this sort of thing happening with XFR, but I know that it is disabled when overclocked. The highest jump I've seen as much as 4.112 Ghz all cores, briefly but it was there.

A few system details:

Cpu: Ryzen 7 1700x - clocked at 4.0Ghz (Base clock 100Mhz, 40x Multiplier, VID: 1.425v, Vsoc: 1.2v, LLC Vcore level 3 (basically medium), LLC Vsoc level 3 (medium))

MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Bios version 1701, CPU Performance Boost disabled.

Ram : DDR4 Corsair 3200Mhz.

Cooling: Kraken X62

I've tried a lot to even get it to post with 4.1Ghz, but to no success, until I've used the exact Base Clock seen in HWInfo during it's own boosts, and it even booted to Windows. I'm pretty sure I could get it to run stable but I'm not willing to risk CPU damage at the higher Vcore required for actual work loads. I would also mention that it did all this boosting without increasing Vcore.

So ultimately, my question is this: Is this a sign of my CPU having issues or is the problem elsewhere?

Thanks