AnsweredAssumed Answered

Constant Blue Screens

Question asked by eliec on Dec 11, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 by eliec

Hello all,

I'm opening a new topic instead of hijacking this thread (Installing AMD Drivers On A10-5750M + HD 8970M Laptops ) entirely.

I've got an MSI GX60-1AC with the following specs:
AMD A-4600M [with integrated Radeon 7660G ]

AMD RADEON HD 7970M / 2GB DDR5

16GB RAM

Windows 8.1 x64

3 days ago, I got a hard crash and have been having constant blue screens and crashes since then.

I've gone through the following process multiple times:

- Boot into safe mode
- Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to wipe all traces of the amd drivers

- Boot back into normal mode

- Install some version of the Catalyst and/or Crimson drivers (for multiple versions of both, including the initial ancient version that first shipped with the machine..)

I still experience constant blue screens unless I'm running in safe mode, I suspect the crash occurs every time the GPU gets turned on? How can I tell if I'm running on the 7970M at this point, the orange light [which is supposed to turn on only when running on the 7970M] is always on in safe mode/when the catalyst drivers aren't installed?

I've tried System Restore, to no avail, and have finally completely formatted and reinstalled windows from a fresh, newly downloaded windows 8.1 x64 ISO.

Following suggestions in the linked thread here: Installing AMD Drivers On A10-5750M + HD 8970M Laptops , I'm going to try installing all the windows updates, trying Windows 7 drivers, and taking apart the laptop to "clean" around the 7970M, but I'm really open to any suggestions.

Is my 7970M fried? Is there any way I can know for certain? Does anyone speak enough Linux to walk me through finding out if I use a live distro (assuming linux provides a tool to answer that?)

What do I do guys? :\

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Outcomes