2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2018 1:44 PM by the3dprofessor

Wireframe connecting lines in 3ds max 2017

bb12489

I'm running into geometry and wire frame issues in 3Dsmax 2017 in our student labs. We just purchased 21 brand new render machines this summer which consist of Ryzen 5 1600x processors, and Radeon Pro WX5100 graphics cards. We're running Windows 10 on these machines. All hardware is certified to work with Autodesk products.

From the beginning of the fall 2017 semester, the students have been plagued by geometry and wire frame problems in their scenes. I've attached some screenshots for reference. I've tried changing the drivers from past to current, to beta's, as well as going through AMD's ISV portal to pick out the exact certified driver for use. None of this has fixed the issue. There is currently a thread from myself and another on both the /r/AMD, and /r/3dsmax subreddit's about this issues with AMD cards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7i28mf/rx480_seems_the_rx480_is_not_playing_nice_with/

This issue doesn't occur on any of our machines with Nvidia hardware. I'm still in the process of testing the scenes in 2016 to see if the issue is still present, but I would hate to downgrade one application when they are using the 2017/18 versions of all the other Autodesk apps. I'm also going to test 2018 3ds max, but right now we can't use it since we're working with the Radeon ProRender plugin, which is not supported in 2018.

I find it completely unacceptable that certified workstation hardware is keeping our students from completing their projects like this. I don't consider buying Nvidia cards as a solution either. I would like to put a spotlight on this issue so that both AMD and Autodesk take notice.

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture1.JPG