1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 2:19 AM by dotmcl

I need help overclocking my amd fx-6300

purplerebels

Hello,

I've had my computer for about two years and I have not upgraded my cpu once but have upgraded my gpu so naturally, my cpu is falling behind all of the new games and can't get 60 frames on basic settings. I've never overclocked before but I am interested as I would like to make my setup better without breaking the bank. This being said, I would also like to overclock safely as I have read that there are many risks in overclocking. Please help me, my specs are as follows (P.S. I have an aftermarket air cooling heat sink):

Thanks in advance!

• Re: I need help overclocking my amd fx-6300
          dotmcl

There are a few rules to overclocking that really apply to any CPU.

1. Make sure your motherboard does support overclocking, not just in BIOS but try and find out if you have quality VRMs that can support the higher current/voltage needed and do so without to much Vdroop.

2. Get your initial temperatures and voltages for both IDLE and usual / max load scenarios.

3. Once you have all these you can start playing around in Bios. From what I've very briefly found, your CPU should be able to get around 4.4-4.5 GHz even at stock voltage by simply increasing the multiplier to the necessary value. In your case that should be around 22-22.5. Try that first, if your system boots I'd go for a few benchmarks to ensure stability.

The rather more complicated way is not as easy and can take quite a bit of time to get a handle on. It requires slowly increasing VID voltage (while not exceeding safe voltage of 1.45v -- DO NOT JUST PUT IN 1.45V, increase by rather 0.025 or something along those lines) and seeing how your cooling can handle it at IDLE and Load. Once you find a reasonable temperature (keep in mind max temp is 65 Celsius) try increasing the multiplier again. Again run some benchmarks and see if the system is stable. If it is, the next step is to start reducing your voltage at about the same step size until you see system instability again. Bump it back up to what you tested to be the lowest voltage at which it was stable. This process will help you run at maximum frequency while also maintaining as low temps as possible.

Keep in mind when it comes to overclocking there is a huge regard to luck when it comes to how high you can actually go. Most systems won't achieve much higher clocks than whatever the boost clock is. There are no magic numbers, hence the silicon lottery.

Be aware that overclocking is usually associated with risk of CPU damage and you're doing this at your own risk.If you're a first time overclocker I'd also suggest watching a lot of videos on how this is done properly since it does mean pretty much going outside the "safe" area.

Best of luck!