cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

How do I think about DIMM population for optimal performance?

I am working to configure and buy an EPYC 1-socket server online and I have many options as it relates to a fewer number of larger DIMMs (ie 2 x 64G) or larger number of smaller DIMMS (ie 8 x 16G).  How should I think about which options are best for maximizing performance? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Given the multi-die configuration of EPYC, best performance is achieved by ensuring that at least one DIMM per memory channel is populated.  This ensures that the full memory bandwidth of all 8 memory controllers is leveraged and the NUMA domains are fully balanced.  In the specific example referenced the 128G implementation that would provide best performance is 8 x 16G DIMMs vs 2 x 64G DIMMs.  This of course assumes the memory speeds and types (1R, 2R, LR, etc) are equivalent.   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply

Given the multi-die configuration of EPYC, best performance is achieved by ensuring that at least one DIMM per memory channel is populated.  This ensures that the full memory bandwidth of all 8 memory controllers is leveraged and the NUMA domains are fully balanced.  In the specific example referenced the 128G implementation that would provide best performance is 8 x 16G DIMMs vs 2 x 64G DIMMs.  This of course assumes the memory speeds and types (1R, 2R, LR, etc) are equivalent.   

0 Likes