- AMD Graphics Card
- Radeon HD 7970m
- Desktop or Laptop System
- Alienware m17xR4
- Operating System
- Windows 10 64bit
- Driver version installed
- None for AMD - Integrated Intel HD4000
- Display Devices
- Laptop LCD display
- Motherboard + Bios Revision
- Alienware M17xR4 (U3E1) Bios Version A12
- Intel Core i7 3720QM @ 2.60GHz - Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
- Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage
- 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Describe your issue:
- Around 2 years ago I started having problems with my 7970 and ended up removing it from my laptop with the belief it was dead, per the buzz at the time in this forums I checked. I never heard any beeping sounds or anything, just couldn't get it functioning, I no longer remember the details. I recently purchased a new 7970 pulled from unsold new dell laptops, seated it appropriately, and have been unable to get drivers installed. The card reads fine per GPU-Z and Speccy, and is detected and listed in BIOS as ATI GFX
- The process hangs, sending the cursor to the middle of the screen, and eventually going to a black screen with no apparent response from any actions on my part or active processing occurring. This happens if I allow WU to attempt to auto-update, which I have since disabled through deleting the AMD folder and the device settings. When rebooting eventually occurs (I believe always due to my holding the power button, even when running while I went to work) I can enter safe mode to uninstall the drivers, which appear to have successfully installed, but load to a black (backlit) and apparently non-responsive screen.
- I turned off Windows Defender via Registry, it's a clean install of Windows 10.
- I've attempted to install various iterations, each time uninstalling the AMD and Intel drivers using DDU, including
- Most recent Leshcat - Catalyst_16.2.1_UnifL_v1.0
- Most recent Relive - non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.11.4-nov27
- Two versions of the Catalyst - amd-catalyst-15.11.1beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-nov14 & whql-win10-catalyst-15.7.1-oct30
- Original drivers from Dell - Video_Driver_4NYM5_WN_9.003_A00
- Along with a couple older variants - VGA_AMD_220.127.116.11_W81x64_A
- I've received a BSOD when attempting to install some of these, mostly the 'Thread_stuck_in_device_driver', although when attempting Cat 15.11 it was 'Machine_check_exception'.
I honestly wonder if my original card may not have been dead after all, and I just gave up on it a bit too soon.
I thank any and all that are able to assist here, and hope to leave a trail for others to succeed.
I have the same question (0)