8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 4:33 PM by faqu

Constant screen tearing in games with Freesync ON

faqu

I noticed that while gaming in fullscreen on a freesync monitor , i still get screen tearing even if i am in my freesync range (a horizontal screen tear slowly rises from the bottom of my screen to the top).

My monitor is an LG 23MP68VQ-P (40-75Hz freesync range) , and i am using RivaTuner to limit the fps to 75 . If i limit the fps to 74 , the tearing is still there , but only at the bottom of the screen . To completely remove the screen tearing , i have 2 options : limit the fps to 69 in RivaTuner (this is how i can get rid of the tearing at the bottom of the screen) or enable vsync in-game , but vsync adds input lag , which is a bad thing in first-person shooters . The same thing happens at 40fps , and the only way to remove that tearing is to enable vsync , or to limit the fps to 44 via RivaTuner.

I forgot to mention that the issue isn't present while gaming in borderless.

Any help ?

PC Specs :

-i7 6700

-RX 480 8GB

-16GB DDR4

-LG 23MP68VQ-P

-Driver Version 17.11.4

• Re: Constant screen tearing in games with Freesync ON
          faqu

I found this topic on reddit : Freesync is broken

So freesync is broken since long time ago , and yet no fix... is good to know how much AMD cares about their customers . This will be my last freesync monitor & AMD graphics card

colesdav

Hi,

FreeSyync is mostly working  great for me, even in Crossfire (2x R9 Nanos active). .
              System: i7-4790K, Triple R9 Nanos, 32GB DDR3 RAM.  Viewsonic 1080p FreeSync Monitor.

Which game / application are you testing?

Have you checked to see if your Frame Rates/Times  are varying by much?
              It might be the case that the RX480 8GB is pushing out Frame Rate that is dipping below the min FreeSync Range for long enough to cause issues.

Alternatively, Rivatuner might not be controlling the FPS limit as well as you think.

Are you running with Default AMD Settings?
              Have you made sure Chill is off - it can mess up FreeSync for sure if it allows the FPS to drop below the FreeSync Range.
              Have you checked what frequency your monitor is actually runing at in Windows?
              You need to look at the following (this is from Windows 8.1 64bit installation - there is a similar panel in Windows 10).

Sorry the abve example is me running into an external Capture Card ... it only runs up to a max of 60Hz ... but you should get the idea.

I have been caught out in the past where my monitor was actually only running at 60Hz max, but my GPU was outputing 75 Hz, and guess what, I get Screen Tearing with my Viewsonic Monitor with that FreeSync range.

I would do the following.
              Uninstall Rivatuner (MSI Afterburner?) and any 3rd party OC Tools.
              Perform Reinstall the 17.11.4 Driver.

Ensure "Wait for Vertical Refresh" to "Off, unless application specifies".
              Set Frame Rate Target Control to 76.
              Make sure FreeSync is shown as enabled  in the Display Section of Crimson ReLive.
              Turn off vertical refresh in the game/application you are testing.
              Monitor the Frame Rate and Frame Times during the application / game you see problems with.

If you see Screen Tearing, lower the graphics settings in your applicarion n/ game  (turning off AA is usually a great idea) to push up the FPS from the GPU.

Retest and see if the screen tearing is gone.

faqu

I mainly tried in Overwatch and The Witcher 3 with all the settings on low.

-fps limit 75 in RivaTuner (perfect frametimes/constant 13.3ms) = a horizontal screen tear slowly rises from the bottom of my screen to the top

-fps limit 74 in RivaTuner (perfect frametimes/constant 13.5ms) = screen tearing only at the bottom of the screen

-fps limit 69 in RivaTuner (perfect frametimes/constant 14.4ms) = no more screen tearing

I verified in Windows , and the monitor was set to 75hz already , Freesync is turned ON in the monitor settings already , and in Radeon Settings i have Freesync turned ON as well (40-75hz range)

After i've seen the topic on reddit about Freesync being broken, i tried the 16.1 crimson driver with an older gpu , and with that driver Freesync is working perfectly with the cap at 75 , while with the newer drivers freesync is broken.

So this is an old issue that AMD never tried to fix , because you know , is easier to make people think that they don't know how to use Freesync properly , than to actually fix the issue. I said it before , and i wanna say it again : "This will be my last freesync monitor & AMD graphics card "

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      faqu

I forgot to mention that in borderless there's no issue with Freesync&fps cap at 75 , but in games like Overwatch using Borderless is not ideal due to the increasing of input lag.

colesdav

Hi ... thanks for the information.

Sorry to hear nothing I suggested fixed the issue for you.

Did you uninstall RivaTuner and try just using Frame Rate Target Control in Crimson Global  Settings? Probably a long shot but ... might be the reason.

Does windows tell you the monitor frequency is running at 75Hz?

I am pretty happy with FreeSyync on my very cheap 22 inch ViewSonic 1080p monitor running in Crossfire with Dual R9 Nanos.

I needed the monitor anyhow but I bought one with FreeSync to test it.

I would like to purchase a new larger higher resolution monitor with a better (higher) FreeSync Range.
                        Now I am not so sure based on your post...

It is possible I have been very lucky or that the problem does not affect FuryX/Nano or it might be a monitor issue or combination of GPU and Monitor.
                        It would be good to get an official response  somehow.

Thanks.

faqu

Tried with FRTC as well , and the issue is still the same . I think i will just stick with borderless , or i will start to use fullscreen with 74fps cap + vsync in-game . The only thing that makes me disappointed about freesync is that in older games that don't have a vsync option or borderless i will have to get used to the screen tearing , because forcing vsync on in radeon settings doesn't work (another old issue AMD never addressed) .

Otherwise , if you don't mind the vsync + fps cap or fps cap + borderless , the freesync technology is awesome considering how cheap are the monitors that use this technology (especially compared to those that use nvidia's gsync) . So , if you wanna buy a new freesync monitor , go for it .

Btw , i forgot to mention that my LG runs with HDMI while your ViewSonic runs with DisplayPort , so maybe that's why you are not experiencing my issues

ohim

Vsync on and Frame limiter .. also make sure LG is not BS`ing about refresh rate ... my 34" UW was also rated for 75Hz when in reality is just a 60 Hz monitor . I limit the FPS at 59 and V-scync On .. .this makes Input lag close to 0 ! And FreeSync On .. absolutely 0 issues.

faqu

I know that fps capped to 74 + vsync on in-game = no input lag and no screen tearing

But what if i wanna play an old game , let's say Witcher 1 , who doesn't have an option for vsync ?

My point is : Freesync is broken since long time ago due to crappy AMD drivers , so i wanna be sure that AMD is aware of this and is trying to find a solution for it . I'm totally disappointed by AMD , good products bad support .