6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2017 9:19 AM by mscofield

RAIDxpert2 - 1016(CRITICAL) Array offline errors

mscofield

I have a new 1950x build with an Asrock x399 Fata1ity MB and Windows 10 Pro. I've set up my RAIDs with RAIDxpert2, follow procedures of updating MB BIOS to latest, install Windows, update Windows, turn on RAID mode in BIOS, then install the ryzen_threadripper_nvme_raid package. Getting the RAIDs set up is no problem, but every time I log into windows I get a 1016 CRITICAL error that I have Arrays that are offline. These are phantom LEGACY 1tb drives that do not exist, I believe they are some phantom duplicate of my boot disk (m.2 1tb SSD). Sometimes it's one, sometimes it's 3. I delete them with RAIDxpert2 every time but they always re-populate on start up. I've deleted them in BIOS also and they always show back up.

I've done a clean BIOS flash, clean Windows 10 install 3 times, trying to be careful and not get ahead or install anything out of order and the errors and phantom drives just keeps coming back every time. Any advice would be appreciated but I'm guessing it might just be a bug I have to live with for now...

Thanks for reading.

• Re: RAIDxpert2 - 1016(CRITICAL) Array offline errors
          amdmatt

Did you follow the instructions in the Asrock Raid setup guide?

ASRock > Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming

mscofield

Yes, and it actually does NOT work for me at all when I follow their instructions. If I follow their guide I can not install Windows - at install it gives me an error that it cannot install to the drive because my hardware may not support booting to it, ensure the controller is enabled in BIOS - this is after manually installing the RAID drivers to see the disks.

The only way I've gotten the m2 boot disk to install windows is do it under AHCI, then switch to RAID in the bios - which converts that disk to a "Legacy", which works fine. Then I can build the SATA RAIDs in BIOS or in Windows and everything functions fine, except this phantom drive offline error. I should also note I have to leave NVMe RAID mode disabled to boot. I can still build a RAID with the NVMe drives in Windows though - but not BIOS.

amdmatt

You are probably best going direct to Asrock for support with this, i don't have their motherboard and so its difficult to help. I have managed to create a bootable Raid 0 configuration using 2x Nvme drives using an Asus Zenith Extreme Motherboard. I had two regular SSDs as data drivers outside of the array.

Are you trying to create a bootable NVME raid configuration? If you can explain exactly what drives you are trying to raid or include in the array, i will try to help.

mscofield

Thanks for the reply Matt. I've posted on the asrock forum also and am seeing what I can find out there.

As far as set up, I'm not trying to create a bootable RAID with m2's. I have 3 NVMe drives on the board - 1 that would be a stand alone boot disk, then 2 that are in a RAID 0 for a cache disk. I have 4 SSD's that go to a RAID 0 and then 2 other HDDs that are regular SATA.

When I follow the instructions from the document you linked Windows won't let me install on the NVMe drives, even after installing the RAID drivers via USB during install. It tells me the drives are not supported as bootale by my hardware (paraphrased).

My work around has been to leave RAID off and install Windows on the NVMe drive under AHCI, then turn on RAID (but NOT NVMe RAID), and set up my RAIDs in Windows using the RAIDXpert2 utility. Everything functions fine but every time I log into Windows I get an the error from RAIDXpert2 that I mention in the first post about an array having gone offline - an array that doesn't exist. At this point I'm kind of just living with closing the error in windows and deleting the phantom/ghost array in the utility every time I log in.

If I don't delete the array it stays there and I get a new one when I log in, so they just keep building up if I don't delete them. RAIDXpert2 gave me a notification that it only supports up to 8 arrays, so I let them build up thinking maybe it would stop at 8, but it keeps going and I had 5 phantom/ghost arrays for atotal of 10 arrays at that point  - 1) boot / 2)Cache RAID 0  / 3)Work RAID 0 / 4)internal backup disk / 5) internal downloads/dropbox disk then the 5 phantom/ghost 1TB 'arrays'.

The phantom drives also show up in the BIOS and if I delete it there it has recreated it's self when I log into windows, which seems like it's some kind of bug with the controller not necessarily Windows or the RAIDXpert2 utility.

For what it's worth, I have a friend that just build a nearly identical set up and he has not had the phantom drives show up.

amdmatt

You are not the first Asrock user i have helped that has had this issue with phantom arrays being created. We do not see this behaviour on our internal boards, which is what our partners such as Asus, Asrock, MSI etc base their own designs off of. I have also not experienced this behaviour on the Asus Zenith Motherboard i personally use at home. You really need to contact Asrock directly and report this issue to them so they can investigate and reproduce internally and take the appropriate action.  ASRock > Contact Us

As you are not trying to create bootable nvme raid, i don't think those instructions apply to your situation. In your case you would want to leave Sata set to ACHI, install Windows and then change Sata to Raid and configure your SSDs via RaidXpert2 in Windows, which sounds like what you have done already.

Out of interest, was your friend with a similar setup using the same Motherboard model?

mscofield

Thanks again for your reply Matt.

Well I think I've got a (mostly) resolution, John from Asrock support replied to my ticket.

I missed an important option which wasn't really documented - after turning on SATA RAID, NVMe RAID and (from another thread's suggestion) turning off IOMMU in the north bridge BIOS settings, I needed to specifically select the UEFI partition on my Windows insaller USB - the default boot if you don't select it in the boot manager (F11 at boot up) is the basic USB, which won't support the NVMe RAID settings. This solved the windows install problem.

Between getting NVMe RAID, turning IOMMU off, and getting the proper UEFI boot to install Windows the phantom drives have been defeated. They were still created the first time I rebooted after the new Windows install, but after deleting them in BIOS they have not returned. I do still get a notification window from RAIDXpert2 on windows login, but there is no error and the phantom drives are not there in the utility or BIOS.