9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 8:00 PM by colesdav

MSI GX-60-3CC Destroyer and his graphic drivers

flofloflori

Greetings,

I've got a problem with my notebook.

After the latest update for Windows my graphics card doesn't work anymore. (Also recognized by less than 1fps in games)

Normally I have fixed the problem by installing the old driver but now nothing helps.

I already dowloaded every driver that could fit for my notebook:

Auto-Update by Windows

Auto-Update by AMD

Installing of the old driver

Installing of recommended driver (link below)

Legacy

I would be very very happy if somebody could help me.

For better Help:

CPU: AMD A10-5750M

VGA: AMD Radeon(TM) R9 M290X

By Windows shown video cards:

AMD Radeon HD 8650G

AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M

Best regards,

flofloflori

• Re: MSI GX-60-3CC Destroyer and his graphic drivers
          elstaci

I went to MSI Support and under your laptop it doesn't show any updated drivers for Windows 10 only for Windows 8.1 or older, if that is the Operating System you have installed. Under Overview at MSI it shows as having originally Windows 8.1 but under Configurations it has Windows 10.

Try this for updating your Laptop's AMD drivers. This is from AMD Forum: Laptop graphics update...How to

This link seems to indicate that the R9-M290x and HD 8970m are basically the same in specs.  It says the R9-M290x is a rebadge of the HD8970m. So windows is showing it correctly as far as that goes. Here the link: http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2005&gid2=1301&compare=radeon-r9-m290x-vs-radeon-hd-8970m

Try the instructions from the link posted and see if it helps.

flofloflori

I've tried to update them so many times this way but it never helped.

I will try again but i don't think that something different will happen.

As i thought. the problem is not fixed.

elstaci

This thread is almost similar to yours. It has a solution to your problem. See if your Specs are the same as the thread : Installing AMD Drivers On A10-5750M + HD 8970M Laptops

The actual solution is further down the thread. The original solution posted was incorrect but corrected further down.

elstaci

This is the FIX that  mentioned in the previous post link by :

DDU Developer Ghislain Harvey (aka Wagnard) contacted me and wanted me to check the solution with the updated version of DDU v17.0.4.1 for Crimson Relive Editions and it worked flawlessly!

SOLUTION UPDATED on April 9th 2017 for latest Crimson Relive Edition 17.4.1 and latest DDU v17.0.6.1!

Let me begin with my specs first:

MSI GX60 3BE Gaming Laptop. Windows 10 - 64Bit

CPU: AMD Quad Core A10-5750M Processor Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8650G & AMD Radeon HD 8970M

Applications you need: For Uninstalling Drivers:  DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) v17.0.6.1!

To download: http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,1.html

For latest drivers of Radeon HD 8970M:  AMD Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.1 Optional Driver for non GCN Products for Windows® 10, Windows 8.1 & Windows 7 64-bit

To download: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows+10+-+64

For APU and Radeon HD 8650G: AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta for Non GCN Products

To download: https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.2.1-for-Non-GCN-Products-Release-Notes.aspx

Please do these steps at your own risk. I strongly recommend you to create a restore point in case anything goes wrong. Close all applications, and right click on Start Button, and click System. Click System Protection. A window will appear. Click "Create..." at the bottom of the window and name it and click Create. Wait for a while until you get a warning about it.

1. Before starting to uninstall drivers, please delete everything in C:\AMD

2. Go to Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall a Program and uninstall AMD Quick Stream (DO NOT REBOOT yet), then uninstall AMD Install Manager and reboot.

3. After restarting, click Start Button and Settings Button. Choose Update & Security. Click Recovery on the left side. Under Advanced Startup, click Restart Now. Click Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Startup Settings and Restart in this order. Press 4 to start windows in Safe Mode. Find DDU zip file and extract it. Then, find DDUv17.0.6.1.exe file and double click. Click Extract button. Run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe as an administrator. Click "Celan and Restart". It may warn you if it is first time you are running. Just click OK and wait for a while until process is done.

4. After restarting please Disable your ANTI-VIRUS.

5. Run non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.4.1-apr3.exe (Crimson Relive 17.4.1) as an administrator and click Install. After the extraction is finished, Installer will probably warn you about Radeon HD 8650G. CANCEL the installation and CLOSE the installer.

6. Go to C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.4.1-Apr3\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF folder and find "C0312788.inf" file. Right click on it and click INSTALL. A warning will ask you to allow installation, accept it. Then, wait for about 1 minute. A warning will show up like "The process is successfully completed". Click OK. DO NOT REBOOT yet!

7. Run non-whql-64bit-nieg-radeon-crimson-16.2.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb27.exe (Crimson 16.2.1 Beta for non GCN) as an administrator. Click Install and wait for it to be extracted. Then, installation window will appear. Make sure everything is checked except AMD Gaming Evolved App (It is unnecessary and affects your performance in a bad way). I recommend you to uncheck it, but it is optional and up to you. Then click Install. After it is done, restart window will show up. Before restarting, uncheck "Automatically download latest driver". Then, restart your computer.

8. Right after the restart, you may get a new warning about "System Settings Change" - "Your hardware settings have changed. Please reboot your computer for these changes to take effect." Click "OK" and just restart your computer again. Please DO NOT open Radeon Settings or change any setting on your computer at this step before restarting.

Some of you can have a fullscreen video problem after the update in Chrome Browser. If you have this issue, please check this page: http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-the-Google-Chrome-YouTube-Fullscreen-Glitch To Check Drivers: Right click Start Button and click System. Click Device Manager and check drivers under Display Adapters. To Check Crimson Edition, Additional Settings and 8970M Driver in use: You'll probably see your power button is white colored which means your 8650G is being used. Right click on desktop and click AMD Radeon Settings. Click Preferences, then Radeon Additional Settings. It takes a while to appear (about 45 seconds) in my computer (I have my system installed on SSD btw). Applying any change in Radeon Additional Settings also take about 20 seconds. Actually, this is the only problem I have right now. Additional Settings window, and the changes you make in the window takes longer than before. Click Power, and Switchable Graphics Application Settings. Click "Add Application" and pick an application you want it to run with 8970M. Change Graphic Setting of the application as "High Performance" and click Apply. Then, run the application and check your power button's color. It should be Amber colored while the application is running. I think having an updated version of display drivers and Crimson Edition coming with a SLOW Radeon Additional Settings is acceptable because Radeon Additional Settings is hardly being used (usually when you install a new game or an application and set it for High Performance).

One last thing to mention. Please do not update your graphics driver via Crimson or Windows Update, because it will ruin everything you did to fix this issue. If AMD releases new update for HD 8970M, just download the new Crimson Edition from the website and do the same steps from the beginning. You just have to use new version of AMD Crimson Relive (Step 5 above) to update your HD 8970M.  To stop Windows Update from updating your drivers, please check this page: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/ If you want to update your windows, please create a restore point before doing so. If your drivers don't work after the update, please go to Start Button and right click. Click Device Manager. Under Display Adapters, check both of your drivers. Right click and click Properties. Under Driver tab, you'll see Roll Back Driver. Click this one to reverse your driver version and restart the PC (do this for 8560G and 8970M). This is the easiest way to get your working drivers back. If Roll Back Driver option is greyed out, then you have to find a way to stop windows driver update or go back to your restore point or do all these driver uninstall/install steps from the beginning.

I hope this helps.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  tmate9811

run amd cleanup utility then restart

unrar this and right click to the .inf file, install then wait for the done notification

it worked for me, took 11 hours to find it , finally in a driver updater(drivertalent)

ps.: google chrome and youtube were not working first to me, youtube automatically started working after some restart, chrome just needed to run in windows 8 compatible

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      lazarusmagni

You replied to the other thread tmate, that download appears to be a virus. This is a very real problem for legitimate customers.

To the OP, I think elstaci is correct, you are probably experiencing the same, or very similar problem as us in that thread he linked. The 8650G is the problem. Ubilada did post a solution, and it works (sort of, the 8650G can still be a thorn in your side, but it does allow you to update the 8970M drivers), and I recommend running the amd driver uninstall utility even prior to doing Ubilada's method. It fixed some stuff his/her method didn't for me.

colesdav

Your CPU is this: CPU: AMD A10-5750M

which according to this: AMD A-Series A10-5750M Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

that CPU has an integrated AMD Radeon HD 8650G - NotebookCheck.net Tech

The HD 8650G is Terascale Architecture so needs leagct driver or old AMD Catalyst Driver.

The discrete GPU on the Laptop is AMD Radeon(TM) R9 M290X which according to this:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M290X.108643.0.html

is GCN architecture.

So ... great ... your Laptop has a mix of GCN and non GCN GPU's, and you cannot install the latest GCN Driver for your GCN architecture because the installer stops when  it sees the Non-GCN GPU.

Is it really that difficult for AMD installer people to look at this situation and provide a popup menu which allows User to prevent the installer from aborting when it sees the Non GCN GPU and only install the appropriate Driver for the appropriate GPU architecture?

I hit this issue when trying to run external eGPU with EXP GDC Wireless Connector.
                      The Laptop has a discrete ATI mobility Radeon 5850 GPU and I am connecting external GCN based cards for testing.
                      I had to use the legacy driver : AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta for Non GCN Products.

I was looking for a workaround to allow me to install the latest driver on the eGPU cards.

Whilst my use case is a bit unusual (eGPU over Wireless) your case ... Laptop with integrated non GCN GPU in APU and Discrete GCN) is not.
                      Laptop owners stuck in this situation must be really annoyed about it.

I think the ability to install two different drivers, Non GCN and GCN for such cases should be supported by AMD.
                      I had already asked for this feature in the past and used the AMD Reporting form about it. 

I will look into the method describes above and check if I am able to install newer drivers on my eGPU because that would be really great If I manage to get it to work.

Thanks.