AnsweredAssumed Answered

1800x extremely slow and acting strange.

Question asked by czokka on Dec 4, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 27, 2017 by stacey.leibermann

Hi my setup is,

CPU           R7 1800x (no overclock)

MOBO       ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO, AMD X370

RAM          16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0, 1.35V

GPU          MSI GTX 10170

PSU          750W EVGA GQ Series, 80PLUS Gold

-fresh install of windows (tried it 3 times)

-all drivers

-latest bios

-high performance power mode in windows

-reseated cpu and cooler

-checked gpu in other pc and works fine

(basically everything is put together well and should be working fine)

however im still getting extremely poor performance even just in windown. minimizing and dragging windows in laggy and sometimes the system freezes.

memory usage unusually high at 40% even even when idle. i just blamed on chrome being bloated as this is what was using over a gb of my ram.

However when i try to do work in Substance Painter (a gpu heady 3d texturing program) it is next to unusable. Both cpu and gpu hover near zero while the whole system becomes laggy and ram rockets up to 100% usage over the course of about 5 minutes. Similar situation in games. laggy and unplayable.

I also noticed when the cpu does get worked by painter one of the 8 cores (core15) works 100% while the others are very low causing stupidly long response and load time.

My previos fx8350 system was fine and never did this is Painter or any other games.

If i dont find a solution to this issue fast im going to consider switching to an intel platform as i do a lot of game development and i need a stable workstation. I was hoping to enjoy my 16 threads for worldmachine but since i got this upgrade its been a disspointment and sadness.

Message was edited by: Alex Szaloki

Outcomes