2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2017 5:49 PM by alleyviper

Use HD4200 with windows 10

jrthorne

Have HP P6674Y Windows 7 desktop pc that was upgraded to Window 10

Running for over a year . After windows update, machine starts using low resolution Microsoft generic video driver.

HP Site and AMD site offer no Win 10 driver. Windows 10 "update driver" finds nothing.

Trying to install HP driver (Sp xxxx.exe) , Windows says it's not compatable with Windows 10

What driver can I use to get back to normal screen resolution?

• Re: Use HD4200 with windows 10
          elstaci

There is no Official AMD Windows 10 driver for the mobile HD 4200 (Legacy -Old-Non Supported). The AMD Support is for Windows 8, 7, & Vista. You are going to need to reinstall the original Windows 7 on your laptop to make the GPU card to work again.

If your computer was running well for over a year with Windows 10, most likely Windows installed the most compatible driver for your GPU card. Go to Device Manager - Display and see if you can update the Graphic driver thru windows or manually install the driver that is in Windows Device manager using "Update Driver" and then click on "Browse My Computer For Driver Software" then click on "Let Me Pick From A List Of Available Drivers Available On My Computer" . Choose AMD and click on the driver that matches your GPU.

Go here to input your laptop's GPU card to find the latest legacy driver for your GPU : Download Drivers

Here is the legacy page for HD 4xxx. Its says to let Windows Update install a compatible driver if using Windows 8.1 or  10. Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series . This is a statement from the page concerning updating the driver:

The last operating system supported using the AMD drivers was Microsoft Windows® 8 with the AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver package, which can be downloaded from the AMD Driver page : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Use HD4200 with windows 10
            alleyviper

Please check this thread, you'll find in there in my posts links for both the latest x64 and x86  legacy driver available under WU for these cards. You'll then need to uncompress it (please use 7zip or winrar to uncompress the cab files linked from MS), and then install it manually via device manager. I've tried it on a HD4290 (890GX) without a problem in the past.

1 of 1 people found this helpful