3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2017 2:23 PM by jozin

Ryzen 1700 standard temp range

jozin

Good day everyone! I When running some  cpu stability test (Linx 0.6.5, prime95) on stock frequences with standard Wraith Spire cooler the temp has been continuoulsy grew up to 67C. The motherboard parameters (VCORE, other voltages, cpu freq) was set on auto

I don't know if it's correct temp so here is the question:

What is a normal temperature range for 1700 CPU, and should the temperatures (CPU Tctl/tdie) i've got in the test considered normal working temperatures? Also the integrated power (CPU+SoC) is over 100W though the official tdp is 65W

I've attached hwinfo screen for your imformation.

Also when oc to 3.7 with ~1.25v the temp had constantly increased up to 95 during the test, after that the display is blackened (the motherboard (asrock taichi x370 bois 3.20) displayed 00 code))

So the second question is: this temperature is ever normal to this cpu because considered other people experience they managed go to 3.8 GHz with stock cooler without any problem?

Thanks in advance

• Re: Ryzen 1700 standard temp range
          elstaci

Seems like you did an incorrect Overclocking or your CPU fan is inadequate to cool the Overclocking of the CPU causing it to overheat and shutdown. Or your CPU thermal paste was incorrectly applied or inadequate causing the CPU to run hotter than normal.

If your Ryzen CPU is a 1700x or 1800x, than it has a offset set by AMD of 20c. The standard 1700 has no offset. This link explains about the offsets on the Ryzen 1700x and 1800x: AMD Ryzen 7 have a Temperature 20 Degree C Reporting Offset

Found this link from a Linux user concerning CPU temperature and Overclocking. It may be useful reading: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/804230-is-82-degrees-safe-for-ryzen-7-1700/.

This another link from inside the above mentioned link concerning Overclocking the Ryzen 1700 : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/804679-ryzen-1700-oc-success-and-fail-am3-story/

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              jozin

Hello! First, thanks for your answer, but sadly it does not solves the problem.Previously you've mentioned the CPU was inproperly oc'ed. But in fact, the cpu works fully at stock frequencies, and max temp under stress not greater than 63. The one feature that's oc'ed is the ram (samsung b-die 2133 oc'ed to 3200, tested for error with testmem5). The SoC voltage is near optimal (1.05) , DRAM voltage is 1.375 in bios (it's appeared 1.4v as hwinfo64 shows ) all other params are set to default. The stock compound was replaced with stg-2 manufactured in China. Seems I need to change compaund on the CPU, maybe cooler (tried stock ram frequencies - with the same result). In stock it's just going fine - from 32C to 63C in stress, but when I'm trying to OC even to 3.8 Ghz (the FAN speed goes over 2000) - it's constantly failes when the Tcpl/tdie in the range of 93-95 C. It's interesting to notice the frequency is reduces each time I trying to overclock.

By the way,  can you tell me how to decide whether the system shuts down due to underpower or overheat.

As far as I know in the both cases the display is blackened (mobo display showe code 00), but in the case of overheating the tctl/tdie from hwinfo shows very high temp (in the range of 90-100C). Is this assumption correct? Could it be a CPU degradation, and whether is there any way I can fix it (get normal OC).

Thanks in advance.

jozin

Hello! First, thanks for your answer, but sadly it does not solves the problem.Previously you've mentioned the CPU was inproperly oc'ed. But in fact, the cpu works fully at stock frequencies, and max temp under stress not greater than 63. The one feature that's oc'ed is the ram (samsung b-die 2133 oc'ed to 3200, tested for error with testmem5). The SoC voltage is near optimal (1.05) , DRAM voltage is 1.375 in bios (it's appeared 1.4v as hwinfo64 shows ) all other params are set to default. The stock compound was replaced with stg-2 manufactured in China. Seems I need to change compaund on the CPU, maybe cooler (tried stock ram frequencies - with the same result). In stock it's just going fine - from 32C to 63C in stress, but when I'm trying to OC even to 3.8 Ghz (the FAN speed goes over 2000) - it's constantly failes when the Tcpl/tdie in the range of 93-95 C. It's interesting to notice the frequency is reduces each time I trying to overclock.

By the way,  can you tell me how to decide whether the system shuts down due to underpower or overheat.

As far as I know in the both cases the display is blackened (mobo display showe code 00), but in the case of overheating the tctl/tdie from hwinfo shows very high temp (in the range of 90-100C). Is this assumption correct? Could it be a CPU degradation, and whether is there any way I can fix it (get normal OC).

Thanks in advance.