5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2017 8:53 AM by colesdav

PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64 Teardown. 

colesdav

I think it is an interesting design on the card.
      I think the red/black metallic look is nice.
      A 2-3 slots high card is not for me, but for for those interested in an AIB air cooled Vega 64 here are some links.

PowerColor Red Devil RX Vega 64 Tear-Down (& Thermal Paste) - YouTube

also there is an unboxing video here:
      Powercolor Vega 64 Devil - YouTube

Bye.

• Re: PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64 Teardown. 
          colesdav

Here is a review for the PowerColor Vega 64 for those who are interested:
          Powercolor Vega Red Devil Review & Overclocking - YouTube

Here is the full article:
          https://overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/powercolor_vega_64_red_devil_review/1

The price I am seeing here is 590, on pre-order (i.e. not available yet) 10 less than a Vega 64 LE, not 529 as stated in the review.
          Bye.

elstaci

I have been looking at other forums concerning Power Color products. Majority mentions GPU made with inexpensive parts (Thus cheaper in price) and sub par warranties. Many do indicate they had a positive experience with Power Color GPU's  but most suggest buying from MSI, EVGA, and other manufacturers instead.

BTW, most of the comments I read were about a year old or older. So, Power Color could be making better products now than in the past. 

colesdav

The only thing to look out for that I know of is there no direct PowerColor Support in various parts of the world, for example, parts of Europe.
                  Warranties there are handled by seller though so if you  purchase from Amazon or whatever you just return the card and they send replacement if you are still under warranty.

I was thinking  to purchase PowerColor RX580 8GB Dragon, because it it the cheapest RX580 8GB I could find and I do not believe in purchasing special OC'ed RX 580 8GB just to gain a few FPS, have an LED fan, and massive cooler for 1.5x the price. The review for the PowerColor RX580 that I watched were all pretty positive.

I own two PowerColor R9 Nanos ... but I dont think that will allow me to comment as they they are reference designs.

FYI apparently there is an issue with the Crimson 17.11.X Drivers used in the reviews, so the OC3D conclusion RE: Cards perform no better than Reference Design Vega 64 may need to be revised / or there may have to be a follow up to the review.

With a cooler that size, the temps must be lower, and the performance must be better than just using an AMD Reference Blower style cooler, unless something is very wrong (maybe the OC3D card had no/insufficient thermal compound covering it, just like the Gamers Nexus one).

Bye.

colesdav

Here is another interesting review of the PowerColor RX Vega 64 this time using Crimson ReLive 17.11.4.
                computerbase.de/2017-11/powerc
                Crimson Relive 17.11.4 pre-release (just released now) to fix earlier driver issue.
                The PowerColor card was found to be ~ 6% faster for 340W Power (+40W) in OC BIOS vs Vega 64 reference and ~ 2% faster versus Asus Strix Vega 64.
                Silent mode BIOS the win with >= AMD 64 Ref ref perfomance.

Bye.

colesdav

Here is a Video review from Joker Productions Benchmarking  PowerColor RX Vega 64 Devil with latest 17.11.4 drivers versus a GTX1080. AIB RX Vega 64 HUGE PERFORMANCE UPLIFT on 17.11.4 - YouTube

In his original review, running 17.10.1 as advised by Powercolor, it lost badly to GTX1080.
                  Now with the 17.11.4 drivers, it still looses to a GTX1080, but not as badly.

Bye.