3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2017 7:23 AM by black_zion

Radeon RX Vega 56 and Windows 10 PRO driver update fails and this kills windows update

patrick0844

I'm running Windows 10 Pro

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 with bundled Wraith Spire cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX: 16GB

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 with 8GB Vram

Power Supply: Raidmax 1000 watt

This is a new build.  It went together well except that the video was identified as a generic VGA.  I tried to install the software that came with the graphics card.  It hung at some point, put up a blue screen with no text, caused the fans on the video card to rev up so I could hear them, and nothing.  Windows never came back.  I finally rebooted the machine from the case and the video came back as a generic card.  I downloaded the latest drivers from the AMD site.  The setup came up looking like usual.  But when I tried to run it I got a weird messge, something like "Computer awaits..." with no explanation of what the computer awaits. I got past that by running the setup as administrator.  Finally Windows 10 Pro came up running your driver package 17.9.3.

I thought I was home free.  Until the first automatic update arrived and won't install even as adminmistrator.  It puts up the blue screen (not the BSOD), different color blue and no text.

Today I read about the new HotFix driver set, 11.11.3.  Downloaded it, ran it as administrator, and thought at first that you had fixed the problem because the driver after the usual fits and starts came back to the desktop.  But I'm still running driver version 7.9.3.  There was no failure indication.  I was hopeful that something was changed so I just ran it again.  Essentially no difference.

Two things that can lock up the machine with the blue screen and fans whirling away:  Your Hardware Identifier (I no longer remember why I tried that), the setup for 3DMark (But Univision Heaven runs fine, 142 fps), and of course ANY update whether from you or from Microsoft.  I have a big Windows 10 update in the queue but it fails.

Because I started having problems almost immediately I returned the card to Newegg.  They sent me a replacement that did the same thing.

Any theories for what might be going on here? 

• Re: Radeon RX Vega 56 and Windows 10 PRO driver update fails and this kills windows update
          elstaci

Go to setup in Windows 10 Pro and run the Windows Update troubleshooter. See if that some how repairs your Windows Update problems. Also Windows Update gives you a link to search for the failure code for the update not installing.

When I tried to upgrade my Windows 10 Pro from Anniversary version to the first Creator's version, It would fail or crash. Turned out to be a bad RAM module. Replaced the bad RAM module and I was able to upgrade without any problems at all.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Radeon RX Vega 56 and Windows 10 PRO driver update fails and this kills windows update
              patrick0844

I swapped the troublesome Vega 56 video card into a machine running an older AMD processor and ASUS motherboard.  Windows 10 and the video drivers from AMD now run as expected.  The card that I put into my RYZEN 7 based machine with a Gigabyte motherboard was an NVIDIA card, the Geforce GTX 1060 with 3 Gigs of RAM on the card.  I was able to run NVIDIA's driver update.  Then Windows 10 Update ran to completion.  So I am now clear on all my machines with Windows update. 

I have read some speculation on the web that the RADEON RX Vega 56 only gets in trouble with Gigabyte motherboards.  My experience here does not contradict that, but it also doesn't prove it.

Ironically, the NVIDIA card, although theoretically less powerful than the Vega 56, is getting a very good score on Univision Heaven.  129 fps versus the Vega's 142.  The NVIDIA card cost me $200; the RADEON RX Vega 56 cost me $500. This may be turning me into an NVIDIA fanboy, a 73 year old fanboy.   

black_zion

At this current time the prices of graphics cards do not reflect their performance. Cryptocurrency miners are grabbing up all the Vega cards, of which there are few of anyway because of a well known packaging issue, keeping their prices artificially high, which is allowing nVidia to keep their prices high. Currently across the entire range of cards, GTX 1080 vs Vega 64, GTX 1070 vs Vega 56, and GTX 1060 6GB vs RX 580 8GB, AMD has either lower or effectively the same performance, yet retail for higher prices due to this. Also since a certain someone who is no longer with the company messed up with Vega, AMD will be far behind next year after nVidia releases Volta series cards to the consumer market, which have AI specific features that Vega was supposed to have, but lack.

It is a very dark time for the PC gamer...