AnsweredAssumed Answered

Radeon RX Vega 56 and Windows 10 PRO driver update fails and this kills windows update

Question asked by patrick0844 on Nov 27, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2017 by black_zion

I'm running Windows 10 Pro

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 with bundled Wraith Spire cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX: 16GB

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 with 8GB Vram

Power Supply: Raidmax 1000 watt

This is a new build.  It went together well except that the video was identified as a generic VGA.  I tried to install the software that came with the graphics card.  It hung at some point, put up a blue screen with no text, caused the fans on the video card to rev up so I could hear them, and nothing.  Windows never came back.  I finally rebooted the machine from the case and the video came back as a generic card.  I downloaded the latest drivers from the AMD site.  The setup came up looking like usual.  But when I tried to run it I got a weird messge, something like "Computer awaits..." with no explanation of what the computer awaits. I got past that by running the setup as administrator.  Finally Windows 10 Pro came up running your driver package 17.9.3.

I thought I was home free.  Until the first automatic update arrived and won't install even as adminmistrator.  It puts up the blue screen (not the BSOD), different color blue and no text.

Today I read about the new HotFix driver set, 11.11.3.  Downloaded it, ran it as administrator, and thought at first that you had fixed the problem because the driver after the usual fits and starts came back to the desktop.  But I'm still running driver version 7.9.3.  There was no failure indication.  I was hopeful that something was changed so I just ran it again.  Essentially no difference.

Two things that can lock up the machine with the blue screen and fans whirling away:  Your Hardware Identifier (I no longer remember why I tried that), the setup for 3DMark (But Univision Heaven runs fine, 142 fps), and of course ANY update whether from you or from Microsoft.  I have a big Windows 10 update in the queue but it fails.

Because I started having problems almost immediately I returned the card to Newegg.  They sent me a replacement that did the same thing.

Any theories for what might be going on here? 

Outcomes