6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2017 10:31 PM by colesdav

Installation failure with AMDGPU-Pro Driver 17.40 on Centos 7.3.

colesdav

Hello,

System Information.

CPU i7-4770K.

32GB RAM. 4 of Corsiar Ballistix LP Tactical 8GB DDR3 Ram at 1600 MHz.

Asus Z87 Deluxe Dual Motherboard with latest BIOS.
      Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt PowerSupply.

Dual R9 Nano. Two cards connected during installation on PCIe 3.0x8 Slots. 
      Seagate Barracuda 2TB SSHD.
      OS = Fresh download and installation Centos 7.3 as specified by AMDGPU-Pro Driver 17.40 driver requirements.

I wanted to download and install the latest version of AMDGPU-Pro Driver 17.40 on a supported Linux Release.
      I already had a clean installation of Fedora 27 which I upgraded from Fedora 26 last night but I do not think AMDGPU-Pro Driver 17.40 supports those ... yet.

I specifically downloaded and installed Centos 7.3. on a blank hard drive, just to test the AMDGPU-Pro Driver 17.40 on Centos 7.3 as specified.

I followed the instructions here:
      AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux® Release Notes

AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux® Release Notes

Article Number: RN-AMDGPU-PRO-LINUX

Release Date: October 30th, 2017

I downloaded this driver. 
      https://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/rhel7/amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261.tar.xz

I followed the Centos Installation instuctions here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-RedHat-CentOS-Install.aspx

I ran the commands as instructed and everything seemed fine until here:
      ./amdgpu-pro-install –y

I see the following errors.

Error: Package: 1:xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu-pro-1.3.99-492261.el7.x86_64 (amdgpu-pro-local)

Requires: xserver-abi(videodrv-19) >= 0

Error: Package: glamor-egl-amdgpu-pro-1.19.0-492261.el7.x86_64 (amdgpu-pro-local)

Please advise on what is supposed to be done next.

This is a fresh Centos 7.3 install from the official 7.3 archive and then followed your instructions for AMD Driver installation on Centos starting with

Article Number: GPU-637

Installing the AMDGPU-PRO Driver
      There are three simple steps involved in the installation of the AMDGPU-Pro Driver: Download, Extract, and Install.  The instructions to perform the installation are intended for a Red Hat 7/CentOS 7 or Red Hat 6/CentOS 6 installation and should take less than 10 minutes to complete.  Before installing the driver, a quick note on how to check if your system already has AMDGPU-PRO installed.   In addition, the recommended best practice is to bring the system up-to-date before starting the driver installation, with:

sudo yum update

sudo reboot

Getting all the way to here:

./amdgpu-pro-install –y

Only to hit this:

Error: Package: 1:xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu-pro-1.3.99-492261.el7.x86_64 (amdgpu-pro-local)

Error: Package: glamor-egl-amdgpu-pro-1.19.0-492261.el7.x86_64 (amdgpu-pro-local)

Any advice / Ideas appreciated.

I would expect this to install o.k.This is a completely fresh installation of Centos.

• Re: Installation failure with AMDGPU-Pro Driver 17.40 on Centos 7.3.
          colesdav

Update:

I managed to find the xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.17.2-22.el7.x86_64.rpm package on CentosArchive which contains the missing xserver-abi(videodrv-19).
          I ran the following commands:

sudo yum remove xorg-x11-server-Xorg

sudo yum install -y xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.17.2-22.el7.x86_64.rpm
          I then installed the driver.

During installation I note the following in the output log:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total                                                                                                                                   140 MB/s | 139 MB  00:00:00    

Running transaction check

Running transaction test

Transaction test succeeded

Running transaction

Installing : amdgpu-pro-dkms-17.40-492261.el7.noarch                                                                                                            23/46

Loading new amdgpu-17.40-492261.el7 DKMS files...

Building for 3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64

Building initial module for 3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64 (x86_64)

Consult /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/17.40-492261.el7/build/make.log for more information.

warning: %post(amdgpu-pro-dkms-0:17.40-492261.el7.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 10

Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package amdgpu-pro-dkms-17.40-492261.el7.noarch

Installing : mesa-filesystem-17.0.1-6.20170307.el7.i686                                                                                                         24/46

Complete!

I then do sudo reboot.

My machine reboots O.K.
          The Centos Login Screen Appears.
          I try to move my mouse and it moves a little then Freezes, along with the Keyboard.

My Centos Installation is now bricked.
          There goes another day wasted with Driver Installation issues.

Any advice on what to do would be very helpful to me and possibly others.

colesdav

AMD Reporting Form Submitted about this AMD-GPU-PRO Driver Centos Installation Issue and I have pointed to this thread ...
            AMD Issue Reporting Form

colesdav

I have managed to find a way to get into the Centos Linux Terminal and I uninstalled the amd_gpu_pro driver.
              I also uninstalled the xorg version that the amd_gpu_pro driver was complaining about.
              I reinstalled the original version of xorg that was on the original Centos 7.3 installation.

However, my keyboard amd mouse are still frozen if I just do a default boot into the Centos GUI.

I am trying to solve that problem next.

I need the AMD-GPU-PRO Driver on  Centos installation fixed and working on Centos for a project I will be working on soon.

I will look at a fresh install of the Driver on the required version of Ubuntu next, if that works at least I will be able to run with
              the latest version of AMD-GPU-PRO Driver on Ubuntu in the short term, however the project requires I use Centos OS.

Thanks.

amdmatt

I believe you are already in contact with Dipak on this issue, but the problem is our current driver does not support CentOS 7.4. If you run any update, then the OS will update and you will experience this issue.

colesdav

I downloaded and installed Centos 7.3. from Archive  I did not install Centos 7.4 and then try to install the above driver.
                      I then followed the instructions provided to perform the installation.
                      The instructions are incorrect.

If you download and install Centos 7.3.

Then skip the following two commands in the Driver installation Instructions

"In addition, the recommended best practice is to bring the system up-to-date before starting the driver installation, with:

sudo yum update

sudo reboot

"

Then install the driver ...

It works fine.
                      I have been running and testing it for weeks now, including running Centos Updates.

Please change the instructions for installation on Centos 7.3. and talk with Centos about this issue.
                      Since Centos is a rolling release it is likely that AMD will be behind in driver support again in the future. 

I also want to let you know that I upgraded to Centos 7.4, removed the AMD-GPU-PRO Driver for Centos 7.3 and upgraded to the latest
                      AMD-GPU-PRO Driver for Centos 7.4.

The appropriate AMD-GPU-PRO Drivers seem to be working ok so far on  Centos 7.3 and Centos 7.4 as far as I have been able to test them.

Vulkan SDK installation is a mess on both versions of Centos though.

I will file reports about that in the Developers Forum.

I am marking this as the Correct Answer as I found a working solution to the installation instructions issue and was running Centos OK for weeks without issues.

Thanks.

colesdav

Trying to recover from this issue by uninstalling and reinstalling xorg versions is a nightmare. You end up with a frozen GUI. You can get into Centos Commad line by pressing escape at boot, and editting the GRUB command line by adding nomodeset and text to the launch options.
                      This then gets you to a situation where yopu can use the command line.

However you need to enable your ethernet connection to the internet from the command line since by default Centos boots up with ethernet switched off.
                      That can be done.

Once there you can try to reinstall / update xorg "keyboard and mouse" related files.
                      That works.

You then boot into the GUI and your Keyboard and mouse are still frozen.

I looked into the issue further but whilst debugging why AMD Drivers Installation had hosed my Centos Installation is an interesting Academic exercise, I had real work to get on with.
                      I saved my Home folder to a disk, and reinstalled Centos 7.3 from Centos Archive again, then started again.

Best solution is to save your home folder to another disk and do a fresh reinstall of the AMD-GPU-PRO Driver skipping the two steps noted in the Correct Answer below.