3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2017 3:15 PM by elstaci

Norton Security Crashing On 17.11.1 - R5 M335 Win 10

curteye

I have an R5 M335 video card running on Windows 10.

When I try to use Crimson ReLive Edition 17.11.1, my Norton Security crashes whenever I try to open it.  The program appears to run in the system tray just fine until double click it.  Perhaps it runs its background tasks fine until I try to open it, but when I do try to open it I receive a windows error that it stopped working and will be closed.  I have tried the Norton Remove and Reinstall app which does not solve the problem.  The only solution appears to be to uninstall the latest AMD drivers before Norton will work again, but I need the latest drivers in order to get other applications working optimally.

I've later discovered that there is also a version Crimson ReLive Edition 17.11.2 if I download manually instead of using the "Auto Detect" feature from the website.  When I gave this one a shot, Windows 10 indicates "Display driver failed to start. Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver".  Of course, windows update indicates to me that I have the latest driver avaialble.  When I open device manager, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems" is indicated when opening AMD Radeon R5 Graphics under Display Adapters.  The other item listed under display adapters, AMD Radeon R5 M335, appears to be functioning properly.

Any advice is apprciated

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: AMD drivers crash Norton Security
          elstaci

You didn't post your Laptop's Manufacturer or model number. But I suggest you go to the laptop's manufacturer's support website and reinstall the latest Video drivers and CPU chip-set and update to the latest BIOS for your laptop.

Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstall) in safe mode to remove all traces of the AMD generic drivers after uninstalling the AMD driver set using Windows Control Panel- Uninstall. reboot

Reinstall all latest Laptop drivers including the Video and Intel/AMD Chip set drivers. You may want to disable Norton Anti-virus while reinstalling the AMD Video drivers. After installing the AMD Video drivers, enable Norton again and see if you continue to have problems with Norton.

Also make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update before installing the AMD GPU driver.

1 of 1 people found this helpful