0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2017 2:50 AM by grinnbold

XFX Vega 64 Issues

grinnbold

System:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X
      • Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
        • BIOS Rev: 1701
      • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
      • Video Card: XFX Vega 64 (Swapped for ASUS DirectCU II R9 290X for testing)
        • Driver Version: Crimson ReLive Edition: 17.11.2 (17.10.1, 17.10.3, 17.11.1 all tested)
      • Display: Samsung C27HG70 & Dell U2415 (Separate Display Port cables)
      • Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro 850W PSU
      • Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit - Fresh install

I've been having some issues with some games and seeing that there's not a ton of information out there in one place I thought I'd put the things I've found here.

I've tested these most of these games with the driver versions listed above and have had issues with each in one scenario or another. I've also been lucky enough to be able to swap in my old R9 290X to test with as well, in which none of the issues happen using that card, narrowing the issues down to the Vega 64.

Things to note (unless otherwise noted):

1. Any game having issues in windowed mode could usually be resolved by swapping to fullscreen.
      2. All issues were found in 1440p and 1200p swapping between monitors.
      3. For Stellaris, Divinity and HotS I have tried clean installs, upgrade installs, using DDU then installing and upgrading drivers, etc., etc. (It annoys my friends when I randomly drop from those games so I've really been trying to find a work around, especially because I hate not being able to use my 2nd monitor easily.)

Fallout 4, Destiny 2, Heroes of the Storm:

• Windowed mode: performance drops over time until completely unplayable, lots of microstutter as well. Swapping to another window and swapping back can cause these issues to happen more quickly.
        • If I watch the GPU tach on the card you can see the tachometer going from 100% to 0% super fast, monitoring programs tend to not pick this up, but you can physically see it on the card.
      • Fullscreen fixes all issues.
        • Once in a great while these games will crash when bringing them back up from a minimized state.

Stellaris:

• Can only play with the -opengl flag turned on in steam. Without this flag the game will lock up either on the choose race screen or when starting/loading a game.
      • Game crashes to desktop at random intervals (averaging 1 to 1.5 hours); however, if using the console and doing an AI only game, the game will never crash - at least I couldn't get it to crash after 5 hours. (I did have it following random ships so the camera wouldn't be stagnant)
      • Playing in windowed mode and swapping between windows can speed up the crash to desktop.
      • I think I have noticed slightly longer play times when playing in fullscreen, but that could just be me...

Divinity: Original Sin 2:

• Windowed mode: performance drops over time until completely unplayable, lots of microstutter as well. Swapping to another window and swapping back can cause these issues to happen more quickly.
        • If I watch the GPU tach on the card you can see the tachometer going from 100% to 0% super fast, monitoring programs tend to not pick this up, but you can physically see it on the card.
      • Random crash to desktops occur but these are much more random than Stellaris, I may go hours and hours without crashing then suddenly I'm crashing every 30 minutes or so.
      • Fullscreen fixes all issues.

Games I have had no issues with are: DOOM, Elite Dangerous, Civilization VI, Europa Universalis IV.

As I play more games and have issues I'll try and remember to update this.