1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 23, 2017 2:27 AM by elstaci

Threadripper NVME Raid Max 8 Drives?

mavericken

So I am trying to build my 9 NVME drive array, and it won't let me.   Any time I have more than 8 selected, the create button goes dim.  I didn't see any limit of 8 drives in any of the advertising material, what gives?  I wouldn't have purchased 9 drives and 2 4 way adapters if this limit was clearly stated.

• Re: Threadripper NVME Raid Max 8 Drives?
          elstaci

Found this forum that MAY help in answering your question: Eight NVME Drives RAIDed on AMD Ryzen Threadripper | Page 2 | [H]ard|Forum

Here one of the answers at this forum:

maxius said:

Kyle, could this mean AMD may get feature parity with with Intel's Rapid Storage Technology?

(https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html)

Unless Kyle knows something I don't, I'm going to go ahead and say the short answer is no. AMD's storage implementation is less flexible than Intel's in a number of ways. AMD doesn't support RAID 5, AMD also doesn't support all the stripe sizes that Intel's does. Intel's VROC can handle mapping 20 NVMe devices to CPU PCIe compared to the reported 10 of AMD's implementation. Here is the feature break down below as taken from each manufacturer's websites. The Intel list shows iRST plus VROC as VROC is just an extension of IRST for platforms that support it.

Intel® Smart Response Technology w/VROC
          • PCIe* storage support
          • Dynamic storage accelerator
          • Serial ATA RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 support
          • Power-up in standby (PUIS) support
          • Use NVMe drives to their full potential
          • Fewer hardware queues
          • Bootable RAID
          • Supports up to 20 NVMe devices
          • Host Insert/Surprise removal
          • Closes RAID 5 write hole
          • LED Management
          • Cost effective and simple (Technically true compared to hardware HBA's.)
          • Brand limited to Intel drives for bootable arrays, possibly other limits. (I am working on figuring this out.)
          AMD's implementation:
          • Bootable RAID
          • Support for up to 10 NVMe devices (limit is 7 without a riser)
          • UEFI / AGESA Code update required.
          • RAID 0, 1, 10
          • Brand Agnostic
          AMD's platform has always lagged Intel's going all the way back to the early days of AMD building chipsets and platforms. AMD probably has closer parity than they ever have before, but Intel is still more flexible provided you've got the deep pockets to get past all the pay walls. The biggest mistake Intel has made is limiting VROC to it's SSD's which aren't the best in the industry right now. I think for the enthusiast, Threadripper is still the better option if it's top end processor is as close to Intel's flagship as people are saying at half the price. For the enthusiast, Intel's platform has advantages, but the license key and VROC limitations are stupid. This is where Threadripper pulls ahead. Where the rubber meets the road, I think AMD is going to be functionally as capable the way enthusiasts are likely to use it. Sure Intel can do more, but Intel shot themselves in the foot with the hardware license and brand requirements. Also, you have to buy into a $1,000 CPU just to use all 44 PCIe lanes.