0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 1:54 PM by amd4618

black screen with driver install on W10 FCU

amd4618

Note:  This is my son's system, so I may be missing some details

System Info:

AMD Graphics Card AMD R9 270X

Desktop or Laptop System Desktop

Operating System  Windows 10 for Education, ver 1709 (Fall Creator's Update)

Driver version installed  Tried 17.11.1 and 17.11.2

Display Devices ASUS VS238 (?) monitor, DVI connection (got nothing on HDMI),

Motherboard + Bios Revision : Gigabyte UltraDurable AD3P, no idea on Bios version

CPU/APU: AMD FX 6300 3.5 GHz

Power Supply Unit : Corsair CMPSU-650HX 650RT

RAM: 24GB

A bit of history:  Until a week ago, this PC was a Windows 8.1 PC with a partitioned SSD for it's main drive - 31GB for OS, rest for regular storage.  The PC suddenly died on him last week in the middle of a game and wouldn't boot back up with boot errors, etc.  We tried for several days to repair windows, get the boot sector cleaned up and bootable, but no luck.  He had been talking about just reformatting the drive to one big partition and starting fresh so this seemed like a good time to do it.  As a student, he is eligible for a free copy of Windows 10 for Education, so it seemed like a reasonable idea to upgrade to Windows 10 in the process. We created a bootable DVD using Windows media creator.

Note:  In the following description, when I say black screen, I mean a screen that is on (backlit, receiving signal) but nothing is displayed, the pc sounds like it's running normally.  No way to detect disk activity since it's an SSD.

Install went fine - deleted all the partitions and let windows create new ones (GPT).  The install completed and windows started and it was going through the user setup screens when we had to leave it for a few minutes to figure out how to set it up as a local user instead of part of a organization.  During that time, screen went black and wouldn't come back and wouldn't re-start.  Did the complete install again and got it all finished and booted up.  And then it would black-screen again within a couple minutes and wouldn't re-boot again - get to the black screen before login.  The "fix" to get it booted again was to boot in safe mode, delete the display driver from device manager, and boot it up again.

So it's running fine using the windows default display driver, but every time he tries to install the AMD radeon driver package, it goes through the install, gets to the point where the screen normally flickers for a second, and it never comes back.  Pushing the PC reset button usually brings it back up in normal mode, but sometimes it does go into recovery.  When it goes into safe mode after this, the display driver shown in Device Manager is the AMD R9.  So it looks like the driver actually gets installed.

We tried the instructions from the Clean AMD Install links found here, but ran into a couple glitches.  1.  He couldn't use the windows "uninstall" from Programs to remove the AMD software - the uninstaller would start and then never progress. This was in safe mode  2. We couldn't figure out how to get into Windows Update while in Safe Mode to change the settings for automatic driver install.  But he did use the DDU program and Windows would then boot back into normal mode.  But attempts to install the radeon drivers in normal mode after the DDU reboot resulted in the black screen.

We tried the instructions from the Clean AMD Install links found here, but ran into a couple glitches.  1.  He couldn't use the windows "uninstall" from Programs to remove the AMD software - the uninstaller would start and then never progress. This was in safe mode  2. We couldn't figure out how to get into Windows Update while in Safe Mode to change the settings for automatic driver install.  But he did use the DDU program and Windows would then boot back into normal mode.  But attempts to install the radeon drivers in normal mode after the DDU reboot resulted in the black screen.  We tried manually updating the driver through device manager and got the same result.  All attempts to install the driver in Safe Mode ran into errors depending on which version was being installed.  The 2017.11.2 version led to the Windows driver signing error.  The 2017.11.1 version led to an error about "this program not configured for windows.....".  I'd have to go look for the exact text.

so a couple questions:

1.  What experiences are people having with the Windows 10 FCU and the current versions of the AMD drivers?

2.  Could the Education edition of Windows 10 be a factor (it's like Windows 10 Enterprise)?

3.  Will the Radeon package install the Windows .Net framework, or does he need to manually install that first?  If manual, which version?  I noticed that there are no .Net installations being shown in "Programs and Features".

4.  Since this is a new windows install, are there other drivers he should try to install before trying to do the graphics drivers?

5.  How do we determine if it's the card or the drivers?

6.  Suggestions on what to try to get things up and running with his card?

Thanks for any assistance on getting this figured out.  There's a lot of variables here that I'm not sure how to separate -- is it the windows edition,boot configuration, the driver versions, graphics card, other hardware.  I saw there was a lot of traffic in summer of 2016 about people getting black screens after the driver upgrades, but I don't know if any of that is still relevant now.