3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2017 1:10 AM by amdmatt

RX 580 IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL atikmdag.sys - 17.11.2

kira18302

So I've recently bought a RX580 8GB XFX black edition and I used to have an Nvidia GTX760 with NVidia drivers. I installed the videocard , uninstalled the drivers and then installed the AMD drivers from the website ( specifically the Crimson Relive 17.11.2 which is the newest one ) and then I tried to play some games like The Witcher 3 , Rise of the tomb raider , League of Legends and Overwatch and everything worked like a charm , easily running them on highest graphics without any frame drops or performance issues. Then SOMETIMES whenever I left a game it would give me a BSOD with the message IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL atikmdag.sys . I then saw a forum fix saying that I should upgrade my bios and remove the drivers with DDU . So I did that and yes it turned out I didn't have the lastest bios version so I updated it and then removed all display drivers with DDU in safe mode and then reinstalling the Crimson Relive again. But the error still persists and I don't know how to fix it. Please Help.

My specs  :  Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

16 GB RAM

2T HDD

XFX AMD RX 580 8GB GDDR5

800W Power supply

On an ASUS H110M-C BIOS version : 3403

I'm using an 144hz monitor from samsung the LC27FG70FQ with Freesync ON

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL atikmdag.sys
          elstaci

When you upgraded the BIOS, did you also upgrade the Chip-set?

Chipset

Version 11.7.0.1040 2017/11/0186.56 MBytes

Management Engine Interface
          Improve system stability

If you have installed Asus Suite III, try disabling it or uninstalling it to see if the problem is fixed.  May want to run MEMTEST86 to be sure your memory RAM is good. Also make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update.

When you uninstalled the Nvidia GPU Drivers, did you use DDU (Display Driver Uninstall) in safe mode. This is recommended to remove all traces of previous Nvidia, AMD, or Intel drivers from the system. You also may want to check your temperatures on the GPU card and check your PSU outputs while running the games to make sure everything is within normal range.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL atikmdag.sys
              kira18302

So I've done everything you said and apparently my windows was really outdated ( I remember disabling the updates from services because it was annoying ) and now I have the latest version of windows 10 pro .I also installed all the newest available drivers for my motherboard and then re-installed the video driver. Now I tried playing some games and I didn't get the crash anymore when I tabbed out or left the game. Also I noticed a temperature change to my GPU which before was running at about 75-80 degrees C and now it tuned down to 65-66 in high-demand games . Thanks for helping out !

• Re: RX 580 IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL atikmdag.sys - 17.11.2
              amdmatt

glad to see that you have found the correct answer to your question.  In order to help others with a similar problem to find this answer quickly, we have locked the discussion to keep it focused on the issue you reported.