Hi - long set of issues cascading. Some details first:
Crossfire 2xr390x 8GB, via displayport to 4k res
i7 Skylake 4 core 4.0 Ghz
24GB 3200 DDR4
Windows 10 on an MSI Z170A
Driver: Most recent optional 17.11.1 I think
Problem: I was experiencing 2-3 second black screens on login and randomly using the most recent optional patch. I was also experiencing the known issue with periodic Overwatch crashes.
1) I rolled back my driver the 17.7.2, since the black screens came after an update. I was playing CRPGs, so didn't matter / care that much. Black screens went away. However, I did not perform this roll back properly - and it was later overwritten back with 17.11.1.
2) To fix the Overwatch issue, I updated Windows 10 to the most recent version, as per forum instructions on the Overwatch forums - no issues. While restarting, my driver rolled back as per above.
3) I went to reinstall 17.7.2 and it wouldn't take. I went into device manager and went to roll back, but it went to 17.10.3 and greyed out the roll back option.
4) I used the AMD clean installer, and restarted as per instruction. I received a "no input" signal black screen on restart, and then shutdown, flipped the monitor to the motherboard displayport (also requires I unplug the power supply to the cards).
5) Rebooted to the motherboard GPU, attempted to install 17.7.2. Install failed, indicating the installer could not detect hardware. So I plug in the hardware power (which won't register until I reboot), and reboot. I get a black screen again.
6) Attempted to reinstall a driver off the install CD, which also gets an error now - something about the monitor.
So I'm stuck at this point where I need the OS to not recognize the AMD cards so I can see the screen after boot, but I then need the OS to recognize the AMD cards so I can install the drivers. Is there any way I can manually install the drivers without this hardware requirement?
Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.