3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2017 12:57 PM by victor.bettenhausen

High-quality AM4 mamaboard?

mmacd

I write application-level software, and I'll be needing to replace my main

dev machine presently.

Are there any AM4 motherboards that are aimed at people doing engineering

rather than playing games?  Stable, reliable motherboards?

All the AM4 boards I can find from the usual suspects appear to be aimed at status-conscious

gamers and overclockers who are willing to keep splashing out for boards made of run-of-the-fab

parts that produce high failure rates out of the box and short lifespans--as long as those

motherboards have attractive color schemes and the latest bells and whistles.

If there are boards being made for people who just want a stable system that will stay good

until the technology is superseded, I've not found them.  Supermicro are bringing out that

single-socket Epyc board, but it's anyone's guess when it will ship.

• Re: High-quality AM4 mamaboard?
          black_zion

If you think that high end boards made with top quality components, such as the ASUS Crosshair VI, or higher end boards based on the X370 chipset without the bling of 3D printing mounts and LEDs are boards that are made with "run of the fab parts that produce high failure rates out of the box and short lifespans", then there's nothing we can do for you as you are entirely incorrect. Also, EPYC and Threadripper target an entirely different market than Ryzen, and neither use Socket AM4.

_blackbishop_

IMHO any top tier mobos based on X370 from any manufacturer will be OK.

What is most important for long term reliability is good power section and long term support (BIOS updates).

Asus C6H and Asrock Taichi are good choices.

victor.bettenhausen

I highly recommend Asus boards. I recently build a system with an Asus Prime X370-A motherboard, and as usual have had no problems. This is a reasonably priced board without the extra bells and whistles you don't need. I've been using Asus boards in most of my builds since 1999 and have been impressed with the overall quality and consistency of their products. MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock also make some good boards. The system I just build is used for photo processing using Adobe Lightroom. Some of the components are Ryzen 1800X, Mushkin Redline 2667 ram (2x16gb), Samsung 850 Pro ssd, and a Radeon Pro WX5100 graphics card.