2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2017 12:51 PM by psychoticheaven

RX480 Acting Strange! Im Stumped!! Please Help!

psychoticheaven

Ok..so Ill try and be as brief yet as descriptive as possible. My Rx480 8gb(ROG Strix), even if it is whats causing this issue, gives no signal on SOME boots, not all of them! Also sometimes if I let it sit, Ill get a signal a minute or 2 later, Or just no signal, no VGA led staying lit and can hear windows booting in the background!  The immediate fix is to pull power plug and kill excess charge or reset bios and it will boot normally! So out of curiosity i did try rebooting over and over and sometimes it will boot the very next time, or it will take a bunch of times! Again if it takes a few times I use the methods I typed before and poof it boots immediately! The problem is, its random!! Sometimes I can boot fine for 2 days other times it happens on every boot! The card itself seems to perform great when I get to Windows! Played Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus Max everything with an average 150fps for about three hours with no issues! I just built this PC in April and no overclocks applied across the board! But overclocking anything seems to make the problem happen more frequently(applied the OC setting in GPU Tweak 2 and have since uninstalled it)! I did see just DRAM led on my mobo stay on during the no signal boots, and thought AAAAHAAA...checked the bios and set my RAM to 1333htz and all was well, so I thought, the next day..no signal yet again with just the VGA led staying lit!! Things Ive done: Update bios, roll back bios, update drivers, roll back drivers, change to HDMI, reseat the card, change rails on my PSU, clean out the GPU with compressed air, re-installing Windows! Also as of this day, my temps seem to be getting a bit higher all across the board, and when playing Fortnite(Maybe bad optimization from EPIC) I get temps upwards of 84c sometimes when a couple months ago they stayed in the low 70s for my GPU!! Or like last night I played for about 2 hours and temps stayed in the 70s again! This problem has been happening for a few months now! And Ive tried every forum but here! Any help would be of GREAT appreciation!!!

Specs:

CPU-FX8350

GPU-ROG Strix RX-480 8gb OC Edition

MOBO-ASUS 970 Pro Gaming AURA

PSU-EVGA Supernova 750w G3

RAM-16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro

CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i V2

SSD-Scandisk Ultra II 240gb

HDD-Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200rpm

Case-NZXT H440

• Re: RX480 Acting Strange! Im Stumped!! Please Help!
          mclingo

hi, i've had similar issues ever since I upgraded to the creators update, i've also had problem after problem with crashes, black screens, failed to boot all of which went away when I swapped my RX 550 for an NVIDIA card.

I had to swap back though as NVIDIA cards dont properly support 23.976 as I was getting constant dropped frames in movies, even though I had set a custom res.

My similar issues to you are solved now though by disabling fasboot in bios and by removing any pictures from my logon screen (lock screen ok).

I also had problems with 3D with both the latest drivers, when playing an MVC 3d movie using MADVR/LAV filters my system hangs with no BSOD or memory DUMPS, network is still accessing but no picture, no amount of unplugging and re plugging of HDMI would fix, nothing also in the event logs. I'd steer clear of both 17.11.1 and 17.11.2.

I'm currently using 17.10.2, no reboot issues and 3D is working again, sick of AMD putting out crap driver packages.

• Re: RX480 Acting Strange! Im Stumped!! Please Help!
              psychoticheaven

I wish mine were that simple, Im back on Windows 7 now, I swapped for 10 because I wanted to rule out a UEFI/Legacy issue! I also got strange things when I got to the desktop, Id get the "Wattman settings have been reset due to a recent hardware failure" error, yet nothing failed, that only happened when  my PC booted normally on the first try!!! lol! I havent seen that in a looooong time, so im guessing it was a driver issue! Also, I noticed in GPU-Z my gpu was only showing PCIE x16 3.0@ x8 1.1, and in Crimson it NEVER since day one showed the PCIE settings, those always were "Unavailable"! I somehow fixed that problem with swapping out my power cable that came with my PSU for an older one. Everything now says PCIE x16 3.0@ x16 2.0 even in Crimson!! So power issue?? IDK because again my card performs up to spec in every game I play! Power set to +50 as well! Besides these no signal boots on average once a day, because I leave it on after that, I just get mild performance loss here and there and when I apply an overclock to my PC or just my GPU there is no noticeable difference in speed or performance across the board! I had my CPU up to 4.7ghtz RAM@2133htz and was stable and cool as a cucumber and  actually booted fine for days then poof started the no signal crap again! And it heats up a bit higher than normal, but noticeable, when I play, even with the same game! The heat isnt from long use, its as soon as I load the game and stays at the higher temp, yet 2 days later I can load the same game and replay the same mission and it stays cool! This issue started long before I even clocked the cpu or anything! Im still stumped! Ive pulled apart everything, checked connections etc...I just dont get how resetting the UEFI/bios fixes the boot instantly! I could try and boot 100 times and the reset will fix it everytime! Or I could boot 20 times and it will boot the 21st. ..or the very first time, 3rd. 5th etc! Im still leaning to something in my bios! I havent tried a version older than the one that was on the board when I got it!! But just maybe its not agreeing with the Rx480!! IDK, someone out there has a soulution..You cant talk to ASUS because they just want you to RMA the card or board, Im like what id its the PSU?? I dont want to do that, get everything back and have it still happen!!