6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2017 3:31 PM by hardcoregames™

Having Trouble Updating The AMD Drivers On My Dell Laptop - Keeps Going Back To 17.11.

hamur

I do not see a feedback option anywhere on this site, and I'm beginning to understand why.

I am trying to get my Dell laptop updated to the latest drivers.

My system has "Primary" AMD Radeon R7 graphics, with a Radeon RX 560 card "Linked" (not being able to select the RX 560 as primary is a topic for another day...)

Radeon Software Version is 17.1.1.

If I update the Radeon Software to ANYTHING ELSE, it will not start because it will then say I have no drivers installed.

If I then install drivers, it reverts the Radeon Software back to 17.1.1.

I have games that specifically tell me they can't run on 17.1.1., and that they need a newer version.

This is my first computer without nVidia, and if this experience is the norm, it will be my last.  With nVidia, you open the console, and it automatically updates you to exactly what you need.

It is 2017, exactly how hard is it to get this simple process working?  If you can't manage to make updating your video card drivers, with your video card software work...whats the point of having the software?

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: AMD Complaint
          black_zion

So you missed the big link on the driver page which says "Contact a service representative"? And before you go off all huffy about how nVidia is so much better, look in their forums, you'll see the same stuff, problems with laptops are common no matter who makes the graphics hardware.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              hamur

In my experience, when I only have a small window to return an item, if it is not working right, I return it.  I should not have to call customer support for a product that I just bought and is brand new.

I guess we all have different experiences.  My last two laptops have been nVidia and I had zero problems with them, and the ease of use was outstanding.  I try my first Radeon and it is nothing but driver problems and horrible interface.  Personal preference I guess.  Maybe, just maybe, if AMD sees enough people leaving because of this, they might fix it.  That is why I leave feedback like this, not to be all huffy, but to give them some perspective.  They lost a customer, perhaps they might like to win me back next time.  I have nearly the exact same Dell, but with Intel/nVidia in it, already in the mail and only $45 more expensive.  $45 is a small price to pay for ease of use...imho.

A very long time ago I had a desktop with a AMD graphics card in it and it had zero problems, and at my job, when we need to add a graphics card to a PC we always order AMD.  So trust me, I am not dogging the entire company, just the drivers/interface for laptops.

kingfish
              2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  hamur

Thank you for the link, but I did try this...several times, it never worked.

The fact that this was a brand new machine, I decided to return it as opposed to messing with it anymore.  Just a personal preference, but crap like this is absolutely not what I think I should have to do after spending $750+ on a brand new laptop.

qwixt

First thing you need to understand is that a laptop might not be compatible with the generic drivers, and why you should go to the manufacturer's driver page for the laptop. This goes for nvidia and amd. You didn't list the dell model, so no idea what dell provides. Surprised that it never occurred to you to use dell support for your dell laptop.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        hardcoregames™

hamur wrote:

Thank you for the link, but I did try this...several times, it never worked.

The fact that this was a brand new machine, I decided to return it as opposed to messing with it anymore. Just a personal preference, but crap like this is absolutely not what I think I should have to do after spending $750+ on a brand new laptop.

I suggest you check with Dell to see what drivers are suitable. Drivers are generally on windows update as well.

I use a HD 7870 and drivers are on windows update so when I install windows clean the card is not a problem.

Factory reset your maching and use what is on windows update, then contact Dell for any proprietary drivers.

1 of 3 people found this helpful